mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Opinions: '02 Giant AC Air Lite

New member here looking to get back on the trails after 6 years of stay-at-home dad. Currently 45y/o, 6'3"/270 looking to drop 30-40lbs. Want to upgrade from aluminum hardtail to full suspension for all-around trail riding and maybe get back into local racing. No hucking.

I'm looking at an 2002 Giant AC Air Lite (size L) I've found for $900. The bike has about 40 miles on it (street use only), and appears to be in excellent condition. It's got XT/XTR derailers, Hayes hydraulic discs, Mavic F519 wheels, RS Sid XC rear shock and RS Psylo SL fork (very stock). I can see a small dent on the RH chainstay, but everything else appears to be in great shape.

The front shock seems soft for my weight, but it looks like I can buy firmer springs for the Psylo. I didn't check the air pressure in the rear shock, but it seems to support me. When I rode it, the suspension was in the shortest setting.

I'd appreciate any opinions and feedback from the Clyde collective on this bike. Not having any experience in FS bikes, I'm looking for a little guidance in selecting a decent FS bike for less than $1500. From the reviews I've read, the AC was relatively well received by riders, many of which seemed to be larger sized. It looks heavy, but doesn't fell heavy at all. In this price range, none of the new FS bikes I've looked at seemed very impressive.

Thanks in advance for the help!

mtbr member
    I'm not familiar with the bike that you are speaking about, but in general, I'm a bit hesitant when the term "Lite" is used in the name of a bike when evaluating clydeworthyness.

Another option would possibly be to look at a steel frame hardtail, the ride is less harsh than an aluminum hardtail... I currently ride aluminum, but am going back to steel on my next frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yes, I had the same thought about the "lite" tag, but it's definitely not a light bike. The seller seems to think that Giant was afraid that the AC's appearance, which does look a bit heavy, might affect sales; so they added the Lite name to get weight conscious riders to try it out. Who knows...

Anyway, thanks for the steel hardtail tip.
    "Son, I've got SHOES that weigh more that that pretty little bike..."