mtbr member
    Mar 2011

One ride and bent pedals?

Installed my new SLX cranks tonight.

Spinning my 2 week old Crank Bros Mallets into my new cranks I could see them rise and fall 1/8" maybe a a tad more. My frist ride since being off the MTB 10 yrs and clipped in made for crazy power. Not like I was agressive and getting crazy on it, but I did break a chain on a climb cranking up the watts.

Is this a known issue for Clydes and Mallets?

Was it breaking the chain, or is it more likely poor mfg run out?

Is there a stronger CB pedal spindle or do I need to switch to better Clyde worthy pedals?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    This scares me....

Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    I'm starting to get the idea that it may have more to do with riding style. I ride anywhere between 270# and 290# and I kill one or two mallet axels every year (Both the old Mallets and the new Mallet design). I ride on trails with steep hills so I tend to stand and mash with 100% effort.

I've been using Acids on my road bike. One of the pedals bodies just came free from the axle (luckily I could still ride home). Lightening struck twice in one week. It's bad enough that I think I need to carry a pair of backup pedals with me.

I've read that Times are great but I've also talked to small guys who bend the axels. Who knows. I emailed Crank Brothers last week and they uncharacteristically have not gotten back to me. What to do? Especially when going to another type of pedal will cost hundreds of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    The Mallet pedals would be a mistake. I've killed so many of the Mallet axles I lost count. A pair of Acids FELL apart on my road bike after about 400 miles of use. Apparently, I was supposed to take them apart and grease them in that time period. Crank Brothers is good ergonomics teamed with lousy quality with pretty packaging.

I recently switched everything to Time, so far so good.

I see lots of Clyde folks running are Time ATAC's

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I've had pretty good luck with Shimano 520 and 540 spd's, and Ritchey V3 Comps (if you can still find them). I haven't tried the newer V4 Comp models, which are readily available, so I can't recommend them.

As for the chain breaking, that is more likely to be a shifting (under load) issue that damages the chain than from being incredibly powerful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    As for the chain breaking, that is more likely to be a shifting (under load) issue that damages the chain than from being incredibly powerful.
    Possiable ~ but if it was it wasn't me shifting. Could have been torque related ghost shifting. I'd like to think it was the shock of casset induced chin skip under load.

Next ride will let me know more. Just gun shy of shearing a pedal now.
    Last edited by whitfield96; 04-10-2011 at 01:48 PM.

Clydesdale 29er
    I'm around 275 pounds and I have never had a problem with my CB Candy's. I have them
    on both my HT and FS bikes. I did bend a wing on one set when I had a pedal strike on
    a rock but even that didn't bend the axle. CB repaired it for free.
    MxV=Clydesdale

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sounds like your are "ham footed" learn to ride much more smoothly.

ballbuster
    I have a hard time believing that. I mean, there are 200 pound freeriders doing 20 foot drops on those pedals. That would be tons more force than a 300 pound guy just spinning the pedals.

Are you sure they were not installed cross-threaded?

Have you tried swapping out parts to isolate the pedals from the cranks?

If the pedals are bent, talk to Crank Brothers. They have awesome customer service.

ballbuster
    I have a hard time believing that. I mean, there are 200 pound freeriders doing 20 foot drops on those pedals. That would be tons more force than a 300 pound guy just spinning the pedals.

If the pedals are bent, talk to Crank Brothers. They have awesome customer service.

ballbuster

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Glad to see all the response ~ Thanks.

No they are not cross threaded. ~ I am an automotive mecahinc by trade (stopped turning wrenches for a living in 97) but still wrench daily.

The misalignment is verified in the pedal spindle (either bent or Mfg flaw / noticed it on 2nd install).

AS for Ham footed ~ I'm an x BMX racer / 5th south park nbl grand nats in 82~ I'm generally smooth.

If they are good for a 200#'r on 20' drops then how did the guy above break so many spindles? Guess I'll ask him?

Meanwhile I'll ride them and keep tabs.
    Last edited by whitfield96; 04-10-2011 at 08:00 PM.