Thread: once again..

mtbr member

once again..

I need help I want to find a good bike for say $600.00 I'm 270 pounds I'm trying to get back down to 200 but I am very hard on EQ & frames can anyone help me? please!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

At your weight, and the way you describe....

your abuse of equipment there is really nothing I can recommend in your price range. If you'd be willing to up the budget a couple of bills I'd recommend a Kona Hoss. It's a VERY heavy duty hard tail built for heavy duty people! The MSRP is $899, but if you shop around (if you have a Kona dealer near you) you might find an 05 model leftover in the right size. Or they may have an 06 discounted, you never know. But at 270 and hard on equipment, I really can't think of anything in the $600 range that would suit you.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Agreed, not that it will not last too long. Your best bet is to find a "freeride hardtail" bike. I rock a 34lb hardtail. it is overbuilt for me, but its fun and handles the abuse I throw out. At the same time, I had no issues with much lighter bikes...

Find you a good frame (lifetime warranty like Spec. or Trek) and get a decent bike for your price range. Uprgade the springs in the fork, be a little easier on it. Replace stuff when it brakes, and know that you will be replacing stuff. Drop 30 lbs, and you wont have to replace anywhere near as much. Drop 50 lbs, and most bikes out there will work for you.

Good luck

Matt