mtbr member
    Sep 2013

old big noob needs help finding bike

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this forum but I've have learned a lot. I hadn't rode a bike in 15yrs and I want to get back into it. I want to buy my bike around Christmas but what to get. My budget is around $1000, I plan on doing pavement during the winter and hitting some regular trail in spring. I'm about 6'4 and between 285-290lbs. I was looking at the trek dual, rockhopper comp 29 and giant roam. I like to know what bikes and components can hold my weight. Thanks in advance
    P.S. I'm opening to any bike brands

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Some suggestions to add to your list:

Although I'm currently at 255 (@ 6'5"), I have spent most of the last 15+ years up in the range you're at and a little more at times. For $1,000, it's going to be tough to find bombproof for guys our size, but the good news is that if you have been off the bike for a while, it will take a fair amount of time for you to get back to a fitness level that will truly compromise parts/bikes. I don't mean a few months, but more like a year or two if you work fairly hard and get the diet under control.

If you're OK with doing some work on a bike yourself to dial it in, I would suggest taking a look at Airborne's offerings. The Seeker is in your budget range, and if you could stretch a little more than that, the Goblin should be looked at. If you are determined to get something from the LBS for whatever reason(s), Trek is releasing a Stache for 2014 that is getting down toward your price range. The frame is a little beefier than many straight Xc offerings, and is super comfy for me as a larger rider.

At your price point, I would forget about trying to get into full suspension, and definitely try out some 29ers.

Wheels are eventually going to a challenge for you if you get fit and ride up STEEP hills, or if you ride hard through rough terrain. Keep in mind that you may eventually need to get something somewhat custom to keep a wheelset true and working, but you'll be OK for a while on a stock wheelset.