Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ok so my decisions have beeen made on all but My forks

728 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  CaveGiant 
#1 ·
I ordered some oury grips/ wtb pure v saddle/ avid speed 7 levers/ spec. lo pro mag2 pedals

Now all i need is a for for a 6'1 265 clyde

My choices are as follows.

2008 Solo Air 318 RS.... 229$ plus shipping

or

2009 Tora Race (says dual air) 4015216000 <-- That part number (also comes with poploc... to bad its not in white, wanted to go orange and white but oh well) I can get at 245 shipped :)

I do not know if dual air is just as good if not better than soloair for a clyde or what.. Please let me know

#3 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
Any chance you could get something with a 20mm?
Not to sure... never looked into it.... Prob would be a little more than im willing to drop into this bike... The whole point is i wanted a decent entry bike for a clyde for less than 700$

Right now i have
Flightline Comp
Speed7 levers
Spec. lo pro mag2 pedals
oury grips
wtb seat
mx4 discs

and have a little over 540 in it now... so even though i plan on going over my original budget, i am trying to keep it under 775...

#4 ·
Go check out the rockshox web site and see what it says.

http://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/allfrontforks/
Hover your mouse over the icons for solo and dual air at the bottom of the page.

The internals for Solo Air and Dual Air are similar, the Dual air allows you to set positive and negative pressure independently.

I think dual air is generally seen has a higher end specification than solo air.

Is that plus a poplock worth $15? That's a personal decision. One thing to check is do either of those forks come with an air pump. There are special pumps for inflating air sprung shocks, you will need one of these. You can get 'em for around $30, but if one of those shocks comes with the pump that'll save you some dough.

#5 ·
Just browsing the Rockshox site while I talk to my wife on the phone--don't rat me out--I notice that it says the Tora Race has Solo Air. I'm pretty sure Dual Air is part of how they get people to pay more for their more expensive shocks, so I don't think the race has Dual Air.

The poplock is kinda cool though. And the issue of getting a shock pump...

#9 · (Edited)
Here's a 20mm through axle fork that won't break the bank. If you're a heavier rider the difference between 20mm through axle and quick release is huge.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK301A03-Manitou+Minute+Elite+Tpc+08.aspx

100mm Manitou Minute Elite TPC for $220 or 120mm version for $250.

Edit:
You will need a 20mm front hub if you want to run a 20mm through axle fork. I noticed that you didn't list wheels on your part list, so I'm not sure if you already have the wheels you need. If you already have a quick release wheelset then your most economical solution is to get a quickrelease fork. If not then there are some relatively cheap 20mm options out there.

Here's a pretty cheap wheelset with a 20mm front hub.

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=4963

There are quite a few other parts missing there too, so if you don't already have them lying around it will cost you much more than $235 to finish up the project. Besides the fork and wheels, I think you still need a crankset, cassette, shifters, derailleurs, seatpost, handlebar, stem, tires, tubes and a headset.

#10 ·
Thanks to all the helpful comments.. I also thought the 2009 tora race was solo air based on the rs web site but over 3 other places haev that part number i listed as a dual air fork..

And to the big mtn biker... i have a bike(kind of entry level) that i was doing minor upgrades to to suite my level of riding. I am not out to ride massive crazy stuff.. More like i want to drop 50lbs and love to ride woods/trails (simple stuff) / fireroads/ street.

I love riding in the morning or evening... <-- So also am looking for lights helmet mounted or bar mounted if anyone ahs suggestions

Also jsut took my first ride in about 10 years the other night... 6 Miles of Extreme hills (like 60 degree incline angles hills ) Was amazing brutal but honestly fun... Coming back down was almost scary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.