Thread: odd size lmao

Grinder

odd size lmao

ok ive accepted the fact, that i cant afford a custom built frame. but not a problem since i can weld/braze rather well. and have many metal working tools.

but im not really sure what i do need and dont want to build 20 frames to figure it out.
    ok im 6'2'' not very tall compared to some of you i know. but heres where the problem lies, my inseam is 27"(my heal walks on 30" inseam pants) so imagine fitting a bike to a Neandertal. i have a Strong design figured out since i weigh 275. from riding bikes all my life ive noticed i need a long wheelbase, which means xl frame but theres no way i can touch the ground. i also have noticed that low handle bars are a big no no (i hate endoing).

any other clydes with short legs out there? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by a stoned guy with a beer in his hand eyeballing your sisters bike
    "i fit my bike to fit me;not for looks...nice did you buy that bike from jc whitney?" Stoner Island 1984

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Guys like you are the reason many frame makers went to the modern geometry type frames with the slanted top tubes. You could be even a little more extreme than that could account for though.

We are talking hardtail here?

Are your arms more in proportion with your legs or your torso?

If you have longish arms compared to your legs, it will make it more difficult to source a frame with low enough standover clearance that will have a long enough top tube. If your arms are more in proportion to your legs, it may be a little easier to fit you.

As for being 275, I don't think that limits you to as few frames as you might believe unless your a complete animal.

If you're talking full suspension, I would at least have some contact with the folks at Turner and Ventana. It wouldn't cost you anything just to ask a few questions and those companies have been known to be pretty accessible.

As for building your own frame, that's quite an art and I would leave something like that up to the pros. You might be good at welding a lot of things, but that should also let you know that special projects have special issues. A slight miscalculation or less than wonderful weld could make the for bad times. JMHO. Not saying you couldn't, but since I don't know you, it would be difficult for me to be too encouraging ;~) to egg you into taking on such a project.

There may be some classes that allow you to build your own frame under supervision from acompetent frame builder.

Grinder
    lol thanks ill look into some of those ideas. my arms arent overly long but not short like my legs. lol and yea i wouldnt encourage people to build either. failure could be deadly. i have successfully built with 4130 for go karts before so thats the material ill use. i can weld aluminum, but not well enough to trust it under these circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by a stoned guy with a beer in his hand eyeballing your sisters bike
    "i fit my bike to fit me;not for looks...nice did you buy that bike from jc whitney?" Stoner Island 1984

29 some of the time...
    Lots of info over on the frame building forum. Jigging up will likely be the most time consuming part of the process. Once that is done you can start cranking out frames pretty fast. I think that is how several of the custom builders got started.

Yes, shorter legs with long torso and arms here. I am 6'3" and wear 32in inseam on my pants. I generally go looking for low and long frames. I had Ventana weld me up an X5 a few years back that was a 20in seat tube, but otherwise sized out like a 23in bike frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.