mtbr member

Nutrition On The Trail

So what are you all eating on the trail for energy and replacement nutrition?
    What are you doing reading this? Go out and RIDE!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    pb and banana sammiches

Former Bike Wrench
    beef jerky, fruit roll ups, honey stinger energy chews

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have had considerable success with Hammer Gel and Heed

jct
    mtbr member
    clif bars and gu. my rides are 4hrs roughly and ~3K of climbing on a rigid SS.

mtbr member
    honey stinger waffles

mtbr member
    I've been using Infinit powder mix this year with good results. I have two different formulas, first has protein and the second no protein, but with lots of carbs. I use the protein for the first part of the ride then switch to the carb.
    Here's the website: Infinit Nutrition | Custom Sports Nutrition Solutions | USA

Woody

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by No Endo View Post
    So what are you all eating on the trail for energy and replacement nutrition?
    It depends on how long and how hard you are riding... Also, are you just starting out or have you been riding for a year or two.For two hour or lees hard rides I don't use much Maybe a gel or two If I stop... Water in my Camelback. If I was going on a much longer ride or I was going to sweat profusely (hot weather) I would lose a bunch of electrolytes and I would need to replace them. Probably a heavy GU mixture in a water bottle to separate it from my CamelBack because I hate cleaning it!

For longer rides or solids a cliff bar is nice.

Lord Thunderbottom
    for anything less than 2 hours, I'll eat a banana before I ride and a PB sammich or jerky after (at break time if more than 2 hours) unless it's super hot then I'll bring a gatorade in additon to the camelbak

I haven't ever used energy gels, you guys really getting anything out of them?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    for anything less than 2 hours, I'll eat a banana before I ride and a PB sammich or jerky after (at break time if more than 2 hours) unless it's super hot then I'll bring a gatorade in additon to the camelbak

I haven't ever used energy gels, you guys really getting anything out of them?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "get anything out of them"...

If I'm riding really hard all my blood is driving my legs. If I eat anything that's solid and requires effort (blood) to digest then then I'll get the feeling of a brick in my stomach or worse yet a stomach ache. Gels keep me from bonking! The light headed dopey feeling and being unable to turn the pedals. Bonking on a mountain bike is scary where I live... Too many rock, descents etc... Falling isn't a good idea. However, they don't feel like I've "eaten" anything. They're quick to digest and solve the blood sugar issue. Nothing else really.

Once I'm back from a ride I get hungry for food!

mtbr member
    If I'm going to be out more than a couple of hours, I fill one bottle with Heed or a 50/50 orange juice/water (diluted orange juice) mix, I like orange juice. Tastes better than sports drinks to me and it contains sugar and electrolytes. That and a full camel back bladder of water....with lots of ice if temps are above 80. I agree with the previous poster who said he only puts water in his pack. Cleaning a bladder and drinking tube is a pointless waste of time if you also carry water bottles. And if it's a hot day and/or it appears it will be a tough ride, I'll take a couple of electrolyte tablets along and take one every hour after I hit two hours or so.

I don't take solid food unless I think I'll be out more than 4 hours, and then it's usually an energy bar.

mtbr member
    Hammer Gel, apple cinnamon is great. I also like HEED and Clif Shot drink. For long road rides I like the same, with clif bars as well as perpetuem.

mtbr member
    Almonds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I use my stored body fat, since I have so F%$ing much.

Oh and water.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
    I use my stored body fat, since I have so F%$ing much.

Oh and water.
    hahahaha thumbsup:

I usually down a Clif bar or Detour bar.
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Fruit and sandwiches. Only when I am out for more then 4 hours.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    i make my own fruit and nut flapjack, it ends up about a inch thick but i never seem to have any left to go riding with as it tastes to good

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Camelback, Hammer perpetuem, power bar, power gels chewy things, Big 100 meal replacement bar, Cliff Bar and Gatorade.

Usually just a couple of those things for 2 to 4 hour ride. It may be all of those things plus some gatorade for a really really long ride, in the 6 hour + range. Maybe even add a PB&J

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm a fan of the beef jerky mentioned upthread. I've thought about taking bacon...

__Jason