mtbr member
    Jun 2009

not new just returning! about 70lbs heavier.

I rode a ton from 92 to 98, then I got married and have 5 kids. Now looking at getting back into riding and have had some serious thought sessions on what to get. Currently looking at a Giant Yukon, or xtc. The Kona Hoss is a possibility as well. Looking for a hard tail with moderate to light trail use, (eventually some aggressive riding). Ideally looking for an all around bike that will grow with the use level. I used to have an old turner, a GT LTR or LTS FS, Specialized S works. These all held up well, except the turner, continuously blew the hydraulic shock. I think V brakes were the prominent brake then, i think fairly new at the time.

I guess I am looking for some opinions on the Giant bikes, the Kona is possible but would be much easier to pick the Giant up.

6'0 305

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    bikes have come a long way... specificly suspension... disc brakes are a nice thing also for us big guys...

you're a tallish guy so you may be intrested in looking at 29ers... bigger wheels roll over things smoother

for shocks... if you are planning to ride more seriously stay away from the RS dart forks or other spring based forks... air has come a long way and will easily hold up someone of our weight (I use a RS tora 318 soloair and love it)
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the reply. Was wondering about the reception. Although i am sure the questions do get old. It does appear that technology really took off for the bikes and I now have a new learning curve.