mtbr member

Not losing anymore weight

Im just fluctuating at 270! So annoying... I cut down on fast food, i use to eat it almost every day for lunch now i pack a 500-600 calorie home made lunch, i only grab something if im in a pinch once a week or once every other week now.

Biking to and from work burns 1000 calories a day and if i lunch ride its another 400-500. I also fly to work, trying to beat my best time every chance i get.

I dont know what to do other than eating like a rabbit.

Im smaller looking for sure... My legs are full strength again from last summer biking. My arms and legs are lean its just this damn mid section.

Im loosing interest in commuting cause im not seeing the numbers go down on the scale. But i know ill just go back up to 280-290 over winter again....

Heres the commute the other day... With stops and starts and a big climb, my average pace is decent for a 29er. Smaller more in shape guys have a hard time keeping up with me at that pace.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I think you are over estimating the amount of calories you are burning through riding based on the app you are using. I weight about 220lbs and over 10 miles at a similar speed burn closer to 300 rather than 500 on a hilly road route.

Your fitness seems fine for the distance you are riding but riding off road or on road for longer would burn a lot more calories. Also look at exactly what you are eating / drinking. Cutting out all snacks, sugary drinks and alcohol should have an impact as will not snacking between meals.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Are you saying you are biking about 50 minutes per day ? If so, you are doing well.. I went from about 255 to 195 in 2 years... the first 3 months I only lost 5 lbs... So, I kind of understand your frustration... just keep telling yourself you are not trying to diet or lose weight...but change you lifestyle... the weight loss will come... it may take a longer time than you imagined...

try eating a bit more of good carbs..... and training more... more energy will motivate you more...

Not saying it will work... but if you haven't already tried this... you may want to give it a shot...
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Ride more, ride harder. Also no idea how your diet looks...perhaps that's the bottleneck. Also, how are your clothes fitting? How do you look in the mirror? Is it possible you are losing fat but gaining muscle causing your weight to stay the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Ride more, ride harder. Also no idea how your diet looks...perhaps that's the bottleneck. Also, how are your clothes fitting? How do you look in the mirror? Is it possible you are losing fat but gaining muscle causing your weight to stay the same?
    Yah am getting smaller... Legs are bigger, was at a gym with a trainer a few years ago, then wife got pregnant and i gained some support weight, lol but they are back to the size of when i was training. I have been lifting weights a bit and doing a bunch of push ups with a push up app, was up to 5 sets of pushups that were adding up to 80 every other day.

I wish i could get over this 270 hump. The thing is, i look 220-230. No one ever believes im 270. Lightest i was working out everyday i was 238 with a 34" waist but i never looked like a body builder just like a fit construction worker.

Diet may be the issue...

I try eating 3 500-600 calorie decent meals. I do find i eat snacks with out thinking about it. I think the snaking is whats killing me.... A bag of Swedish berries here and there, thats probably 800 calories a bag or more... The coffee at work is crap, im drinking 2-3 cups with alot of flavored creamer.

Im going to try to cut the snacks. I did cut the flavored creamer this week, ive been french pressing fresh grind coffee and drinking it with half a tea spoon of sugar i could probably switch to black cause its not bitter piss like the office drip coffee.

I guess it all adds up and the biking isnt taking it away.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Are you saying you are biking about 50 minutes per day ? If so, you are doing well.. I went from about 255 to 195 in 2 years... the first 3 months I only lost 5 lbs... So, I kind of understand your frustration... just keep telling yourself you are not trying to diet or lose weight...but change you lifestyle... the weight loss will come... it may take a longer time than you imagined...

try eating a bit more of good carbs..... and training more... more energy will motivate you more...

Not saying it will work... but if you haven't already tried this... you may want to give it a shot...
    Yah 50-80 minutes just commuting depending on wind.

Then a 40-50 minute trail lunch ride that is a dirt single track.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Kajjal View Post
    I think you are over estimating the amount of calories you are burning through riding based on the app you are using. I weight about 220lbs and over 10 miles at a similar speed burn closer to 300 rather than 500 on a hilly road route.

Your fitness seems fine for the distance you are riding but riding off road or on road for longer would burn a lot more calories. Also look at exactly what you are eating / drinking. Cutting out all snacks, sugary drinks and alcohol should have an impact as will not snacking between meals.

Good luck
    Calories are straight from runkeeper based off my weight, age and whatever else on a gps. I do think its off as well, if i take my time cause im sore from the week and take 35 minutes il be way less sweaty and tired but burn 550 calories. If i haul ass ,fresh on a monday and make it in 27 minutes its less calories like 450-480 even tho im soaked and huffing and puffing.

mtbr member

Was doing reading. Im probably at a platue cause my body metabolism has adjusted to the consistent biking.

Also i sleep like crap. Get to sleep at 1-2 am and wake up at 6:30am all week.

I just checked my fitness pal and i was 285 in january... So i am down 15 lbs in 3 months of biking.... I guess i shouldn't give up.

Cut the sugar. More sleep. More weight lifting.

mtbr member
    Fighting a similar battle, well actually same including the weight. Its a pain.

Did some talking with a trainer. Snacking isn't bad its what u snack on. Secondly is eating less each meal eating much more often. What u eat for breakfast can make or break ur day. Have to eat enough and eat right. I'm down just shy of 100lbs over 2 yrs, sitting at 270ish now been fighting it for 3 months but work and work injury hasn't helped. Lack of time to ride and exercise as much as I need. And eating habits started to slacken.

Stay far away from processed carbs (white bread, sugar etc) if at all humanly possible. The time it take to grab junk fast food u can hit a small store and grab something better for you. Eat 5-6 times a day. Split your lunch up throughout ur work day. Then same concept with dinner and breakfast. Eat half right away other half a couple hours later.

And get freaking sleep!!! Lack of sleep puts ur body into a kind of survival mode and digestion becomes horrible. Another thing im having to correct again, sleep or lack of for that matter.

Final thing, muscle weighs more than fat so ur appearance will show fat loss more than the scale. If ur set on loosing weight mainly, exercise accordingly, dont train to gain strength as u gain muscle mass, thus weight loss on the scale is far slower.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Totally agree with tigris! 5 or so smaller meals will keep you from feeling hungry (no more absent-minded snacking) and keep your metabolism up (burning fat).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradym77 View Post
    5 or so smaller meals keep your metabolism up (burning fat).
    Not true. This is a myth. Not saying it's a bad thing to do, but multiple small meals throughout the day does nothing to increase you metabolism. You can spread out all your calories through out the day or cram them into a small window of time...your metabolism won't be affected either way.

I'd suggest looking into intermittent fasting as well. It's easy to do and has really helped me loss my weight that I lost last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I lost 42 lbs in a very short amount of time. Then gained 8 back. I was devastated until my lovely bride explained about muscle weight vs fat weight. My clothes feel all weird... my shorts are falling down, my shirts are very loose in the stomach area, but tighter around the chest... I have been hitting the Y for upper body work outs/swimming and I am biking about 35 - 55 miles a week.

It's in there man... The weight loss will come.

mtbr member

Very common to plateau. Need to mix up diet and exercise and get stingy on the snacks.

From what I've read, it's usually recommended to eat like a king for breakfast, like a queen for lunch, and like a pauper for supper. I've found that for myself, once I start eating, it's tough to stop. So, I did a small breakfast, small but more savory lunch and larger but all fruit/yogurt/water supper. I had a very boring diet, but it was balanced and calorie controlled (which is tough to do if you do a little freestyle dieting). You will be hungry. It will hurt. That's why it's tough.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

mtbr member
    Lots of fruit. Unsweetened tea or water. Granola type energy bars for a snack. Look for the ones without high fructose corn syrup.
    One smaller than normal serving of dinner.
    Fruit/yogurt for dessert. Not the sweetened fancy yogurt. Eat the plain kind & add your fruit to it.
    Sweat is fat crying. Try the Hasfit videos on you tube. Cozak has a ton of them. Mix them up & concentrate on your core to get rid of the love handles.
    Nuts & fruit are your friends. Fuel up/hydrate for workouts & rides before you exercise.

mtbr member
    i've been using myfitnesspal to track calories I'm consuming, what percentage of my calories are fat vs carbs vs protein, etc. You can get pretty nitty gritty with it and look exactly how much macro and micro nutrients you're consuming and the app is free. I paired it to my strava account and it crunches calories burned into the app to give me net losses and gains.

Ive stuck with it for a month now and lost about 5 lbs. My next step is to use a heart rate monitor with strava to get a more accurate idea of how many calories I'm burning and to train better. I want longevity and not burn out like the brightest stars...

I went from 230 when I got out of college down to 175 about two years ago, had an acute injury to my knee from crossfit and am back hovering around 200. Cycling has been the best thing for my knee but I think cross training is really important to get over the plateu. Swimming is great and low impact on joints for bigger dudes

It could be interesting for you if you want to really see your progress: go in one of those dunk tanks to measure your BMI and figure out body fat percentages. Hydro static Body Fat Testing
    Than go back and do it again in 6 months with your diet and exercise changes and see how much you've changed. as others have already said muscle weighs more than fat and if your body composition is truly changing that's one of the better ways to measure it. Good luck!