mtbr member

Not a fan of the clearance on my Reba Team 29er: Now what?

Here's what I don't like about my Reba Team 29er fork:
    1. Little tire clearance. I'm running the Nobby Nic in 2.35, and I get tire buzz, even with the fork locked out. Only happened on occassion at first, but my wheel's come just a touch out of true, and I have to ride locked out always. When I stand and mash to climb, rubbing is constant. Plus, I'd prefer to run an even wider tire.
    Edit: I think I have improved problem #2. 2. Fork dive. I know this is a problem of terrible riding technique, but I've endoed a couple of times descending steeps. I've tried a number of different air settings, and I never seem to get the sag quite right. Plus the window of acceptable pressure is very narrow meaning my fork has always got to be set just so, even for marginal performance. When I feel like I'm getting the bump compliance I want, one hard pull on the front brake, and the bike just keeps slow-motion sinking. Am I always suppossed to be carrying my fork pump?

I weigh about 250. The Reba is a 120 with 20mm thru. Questions:

Is there a fork with maximal room for tire clearance and suspension friendly to clydes? Price not an object. Just need suggestions.

Since I bought the Reba as a new take off from an internet seller, are there options for having something done with the internals that will make the suspension more clyde friendly?
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 09-22-2011 at 11:17 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    1. I know nothing about this fork and tire clearance, sorry.
    2. Do you know how to use the compression adjustments to dial out brake dive? They are almost as effective as proper technique ;p . Really, which cartridge is in the fork Mission Control or Motion Control?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    2. Do you know how to use the compression adjustments to dial out brake dive? They are almost as effective as proper technique ;p . Really, which cartridge is in the fork Mission Control or Motion Control?
    I believe Motion Control is in the fork, but I'm not positive. The fork is the 2010 Reba Team 29er. On the compression adjustments, once I reduce the break dive, I'm not getting the travel/compliance I want. Once I get the travel/compliance, I get break dive. Maybe I'm doing something wrong though. I've tried following manufacturers directions.

mtbr member
    CharacterZero, you got me thinking about the motion control, so I went back to the SRAM website. Hard to find info. on the Team forks there. I did, however, learn enough to improve the fork dive some, but I only got a short ride in tonight. Hopefully, it'll work out. Thanks.

If anyone knows of 29er forks with tons of tire clearance, please let me know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't have a problem with clearance with either Reba Race 29er or Reba XX forks (100mm) with 2.25 tires, but I haven't tried them anything fatter yet. You probably just need to spend a bit more time dialing in your air and compression, then you'll be fine. You shouldn't be losing any pressure, even on really hard hits, so once you get it dialed in, you can leave your fork pump at home. I don't know if the Reba Team is dual air like my forks, but if I dial up the compression damping, then I also increase the bottom chamber pressure.

And BTW, not that I'm a spelling / grammer nazi or anything, but it is "brake dive", not break dive

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GpzGuy View Post
    And BTW, not that I'm a spelling / grammer nazi or anything, but it is "brake dive", not break dive
    Actually, I'm an English major/teacher, and I love grammar Nazi's, so long as s/he is trying to be helpful. I only find it lame when someone thinks they can win an argument by pointing out a grammar mistake. Proofreading is king, even on the internets. I'll take your advice about dailing in the fork.

turtles make me hot
    I have a Reba with Motion Control on my bike. I'm currently running a 2.3" tire in it on a Salsa Semi rim which is 30mm wide. I weigh 245 and never have I had the tire contact the fork.
    Is it possible that your rim is flexing?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I have a Reba with Motion Control on my bike. I'm currently running a 2.3" tire in it on a Salsa Semi rim which is 30mm wide. I weigh 245 and never have I had the tire contact the fork.
    Is it possible that your rim is flexing?
    Yeah, I considered that, so brought the wheel to the bike shop today. I'm riding Flows, though I love the Semi's. Had the spokes retensioned. However, the tire has always been really close to the fork on the brake side. Wheel was perfectly dished. I think I may have gotten one of the Rebas with the offset lowers. Had the bike shop dish the wheel to hopefully get the tire/wheel more centered. Still, I think the 2010 Rebas have very little room for wider tires. Even if my tire is perfectly centered in the fork, there isn't a whole lot of room...maybe the width of a pencil on either side of the 2.35 Nobby Nic? At the bike shop, I saw an Ardent 2.4 in one of the new RS Revelation forks. Plenty of room.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 09-23-2011 at 10:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do a search Reba's had "off center" forks lowers resulting in wheel moved to one side. Calll SRAM and you can have them get you a new set of lowers through your LBS. I run positive pressures @ least 20 psi higher than negative w/ max compression and 1-3 clicks of FG from wide open.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Do a search Reba's had "off center" forks lowers resulting in wheel moved to one side. Calll SRAM and you can have them get you a new set of lowers through your LBS. I run positive pressures @ least 20 psi higher than negative w/ max compression and 1-3 clicks of FG from wide open.
    Oh, I know all about the offset Reba problems. I learned about them after I bought the fork off Fleabay. Once I built my bike up, I noticed the wheel was offset towards the brake side of the fork. The clearance wasn't a major problem at first, but once my wheel went off true/loose, tons o rub. Say my tire was centered perfectly in the fork, there still wouldn't be much room. So because I bought my fork off fleabay, I can't expect SRAM to replace lowers. Even if I did have the lowers replaced, unless the new lowers were manufactured to increase the internal width of the fork, I still think the fork would be too narrow for riders pushing a lot of weight. Anyways, I had the front wheel re-dished. Hopefully this will help. I won't know until I get a chance to put the wheel in the fork. I'll report back once I know. Maybe I'll even include a pic.

mtbr member
    So here's the final verdict: Yes I have one of the Rebas with the offset lowers. Tire/rim was pretty close to the fork on the brake side. I noticed when the bike got built up, but decided to live with it. No problem at first, but my wheel/spokes lost tension causing wheel flex, which meant tire rub, even with the fork locked out. LBS dished the wheel away from the brake, and now the rim/tire is perfectly centered in the fork. No tire buzz. Again, there isn't much room in this fork, even with the centering. On a somewhat positive note, my brake dive situation is much improved, but not perfect. I'll keep playing with the tuning.

FYI: anyone considering a Reba Team don't expect to run larger tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Here's what I don't like about my Reba Team 29er fork:
    1. Little tire clearance. I'm running the Nobby Nic in 2.35, and I get tire buzz, even with the fork locked out. Only happened on occassion at first, but my wheel's come just a touch out of true, and I have to ride locked out always. When I stand and mash to climb, rubbing is constant. Plus, I'd prefer to run an even wider tire.
    Edit: I think I have improved problem #2. 2. Fork dive. I know this is a problem of terrible riding technique, but I've endoed a couple of times descending steeps. I've tried a number of different air settings, and I never seem to get the sag quite right. Plus the window of acceptable pressure is very narrow meaning my fork has always got to be set just so, even for marginal performance. When I feel like I'm getting the bump compliance I want, one hard pull on the front brake, and the bike just keeps slow-motion sinking. Am I always suppossed to be carrying my fork pump?

I weigh about 250. The Reba is a 120 with 20mm thru. Questions:

Is there a fork with maximal room for tire clearance and suspension friendly to clydes? Price not an object. Just need suggestions.

Since I bought the Reba as a new take off from an internet seller, are there options for having something done with the internals that will make the suspension more clyde friendly?
    I recently switched from Reba 140 to fox 34-29er. On my Reba it rubbed and after closer review it was a defective lower that pushd my wheel closer to the left inside of arch. Out of seat cranking or tight turns gave me the quick buzz. After a rockshox factory replacement and rebuild by local shop I was running full shock travel with dissents 2.5.....with rarely a buzz. At 295lbs I found the sweet spot on the fork shock pressure at 120-125.....anything harder and I was washing out on loose stuff.

New 2012 fox shocks definitely no clearance problems and I'm at 85lbs of pressure and that's plenty.

Hope that helps

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vince7870 View Post
    I recently switched from Reba 140 to fox 34-29er. On my Reba it rubbed and after closer review it was a defective lower that pushd my wheel closer to the left inside of arch. Out of seat cranking or tight turns gave me the quick buzz. After a rockshox factory replacement and rebuild by local shop I was running full shock travel with dissents 2.5.....with rarely a buzz. At 295lbs I found the sweet spot on the fork shock pressure at 120-125.....anything harder and I was washing out on loose stuff.

New 2012 fox shocks definitely no clearance problems and I'm at 85lbs of pressure and that's plenty.

Hope that helps
    Does help, thanks. You were running the 140 Reba? Was that the RLT? I don't think the Reba Team came in 140. I ask, because this might explain the differences in clearance. I couldn't imagine getting Dissents in my fork. That Fox 34 is extremely tempting. Thanks, again.

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    I agree Rebas are skinny on the clearance.

I now run Fox 29er forks and no issues with 2.3" tyres

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think I'm going to end up goint one of two directions this winter. 1. Buy the new Fox 34. 2. Build up a Jones Diamond frame and give up suspension all together. I haven't decided yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    one more

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 Tora 29 SL was this lower problem noticed in these as well? The lowers look similar and I'm having same issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBikr View Post
    I have a 2010 Tora 29 SL was this lower problem noticed in these as well? The lowers look similar and I'm having same issues.
    I'm not sure about the Tora. The wheel should be off-center in the forks, usually towards the brakes. If you take the front wheel out, flip it, and place it back in the fork, the wheel will be off-center towards the same side because the fork's lowers are misaligned. If it's off-center towards the opposite side, you may just have a wheel dishing problem. There is a very long, informative thread on these matters on the 29er forum. I think you can search "Reba" or "Rockshox" in the titles and eventually find the thread. 2010 was the year there were problems, but I don't recall the Tora being mentioned. Let me know how it goes for you.