mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Norco Sight and vs the SuperClyde

With the average maximum rider weight of most mtb's is around 300lbs, what would or does the
    SuperClyde(400lbs)have to be concerned with this or mtb for that matter at this weight? Oh btw,
    6'5"@400lbs not your regular Clyde, more like a wooly mammoth. Also, how much will coil over
    spring help or will it? I've read some Clyde measurements but haven't come across this weight on
    a fs bike. 2 frames, cranks, forks you name it has been busted ht and fs, so help is definitely
    needed. LOVE to ride....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nobody seems to be responding to this, probably because there's nobody out there your size. I feel like I'm really pushing the limits being 330 at 6'5". My suggestions would be the following and if anyone disagrees please let me know. But if you plan to ride at your weight and even if you lose a lot of weight, sounds like you need a super burly setup.

Frame and fork: At your weight, you may need to get a custom frame built from someone like Lenz. My two bikes are burly all-mountain fs bikes, a Niner WFO and a Knolly Chilcotin. When you're over 300lbs you kind of need to buy bikes that are able to take a lot of abuse and those bikes tend to be all-mountain or downhill type frames and if you go fs, you need to really consider the leverage ratio of the suspension design. I guess maybe a steel hard tail might work, but from my experience, I was way harder on my wheels when I rode a hard tail, as in I broke spokes every ride and with my fs bikes, no bent or broken spokes for over 2 years. And as for forks, I've found it helps to run burlier forks with 34mm-36mm stanchions. Along with that you will need custom tuning for them to handle your weight.

Shocks: I don't think you can get a coil-over rated high enough for your weight. Maybe someone on here may know of a company that makes a 800-1000lb rated coil, but I don't. I currently am running a Fox DHX Air on my WFO and a Cane Creek DB Air on my Chilcotin (and I have to run them both at the max psi). If you have a fs bike and you weigh over 300 I feel it's mandatory to have a piggy-back type shock to help with bottom out control. You could also try contacting Kevin @ Suspension Experts to see what he can do with what you already have or what he'd recommend getting if you are able to upgrade (don't bother with Push as they won't work with you because of your weight).

Drivetrain and wheels: You probably need to try running a Chris King or Hope bottom bracket to see if they'll hold your weight. I've had good luck with CK thus far. Use steel for your cogs and cassette. I've had good luck with SRAM X9 cranks thus far. And you most definitely need to build up some burly wheels with Chris King, Hope, Phil or DT Swiss with a stainless freehub body. Actually, DT Swiss makes a rear hub for tandem bikes which might work for you, but it ain't cheap. Probably need 36 hole rims front and rear and the rims will need to be designed for hard riding. On my Chilcotin I have Mavic 823's, which are downhill rims and on my WFO Stan's Flows (soon to be upgraded to the Flows EX's). I'm riding 32 front/36 rear on both bikes and haven't even bent a spoke for over a year and a half.

Anyway, just my 2 cents and about all I can think of right now. If you are serious about riding, be prepared to drop some coin because it ain't cheap. And the one thing I've learned is that it's not good to skip on maintenance, and we need to do it sooner and more often than skinny folks.

mtbr member
    There was a guy on here with the name mammoth rider or something like that was over 400 i think he was around 420 or 440 and he rode a xxl turner 5 spot. He sent his air suspension to TF Tuned in the UK and had it modded for his weight. I believe most of his drivetrain was Saint. His set up is here somewhere in the clyde forum, you can do a search and find it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate3510 View Post
    There was a guy on here with the name mammoth rider or something like that was over 400 i think he was around 420 or 440 and he rode a xxl turner 5 spot. He sent his air suspension to TF Tuned in the UK and had it modded for his weight. I believe most of his drivetrain was Saint. His set up is here somewhere in the clyde forum, you can do a search and find it.
    That guy was a great poster. Very informative. Anyone looking for advice on how to ride at super-clyde weight should look up his posts.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm

masonmoa thanks for the response ,,, the person the previous post is referring to is me i'm 6,6 385-400lbs .....lol yea I know big as h*ll lol ...I can laugh about it ,,, im currently riding a giant '09 xtc2 ...wait let me just bring u guys up to speed. I am not new to the sport its just been a really long time since I was active in this sport ( 1997). I wanted to buy a fs bike in 09 but local bike shop said "NO WAY" cause your just to big (I was about 335then) , he was serious tooo said "i'm not selling you a fs so it can break & you come back complaining" ok,,, so I was so excited about getting back into the sport I said ok and brought my giant xtc2. started doing some fire road rides to get my biking stamina up then , we brought a fixer upper house ( u guys know what that meant ...lol) , then came the 2nd kid , fast forward here we are 4yrs later just getting back into the sport , i'm loving the Norco sight killer b (650) this bike shops says I just need to change the rear shock into a coil and i'll be fine ,,,,i'm just not so sure about that,,, I have not busted any of my rims or components so far on my giant and i'm riding (medium level) aggressive( but NO JUMPS) . I would like to go a lil harder on the Norco but i'm struggling with this whole rear shock thing, I do know I have to keep my expenses on the cheaper side of things (challenge all of it own), s im starting with the shock . i'm not really doing any major downhill stuff more like xc rite now , no jumping either just some bunny hops , maybe 1' drops but thats about it . I will look into the things that everybody has recommended but more info is also welcome .......................thanks again everyone for help/support/advice

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    dabigseat, I hope that someone respond to the questions that you and I both have concerens with and hope that the members don't blow this off as another blah blah posting. Then I'm going to post some pictures of you riding...lol