mtbr member
    Jul 2009

noob needing new wheels

I recently purchased a Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 (2006). I will be riding it on the road for about 50-60 miles a week and at the trails on weekends. At my LBS I was told I would eat through mtb tires on almost a monthly basis. The guy there told me I probably needed two sets of wheels/tires and that I should only put my mtb tires on my bike on weekends. He recommended buying some good wheelsn and put my mtb tires on that. Then he told me I should put a new set of roat tires on my current wheels.

I am checking ebay and prices seem much better than at my lbs (and this is for new in box products from an ebay store).

I dont know what brands are good as far as wheels/rims are concerned. I weigh 260 so I dont want something cheap but the $300+ set I was being sold at my lbs is a little more than I want to pay.

What do you all think about the following wheels for sale on ebay:

-Brand New 2009 Hand Built 26" Disc Pro Aero Max Aluminum Mountain Bike Wheelset with Cartridge Sealed Bearings.

-VUELTA 26" DISC/RIM BRAKE ATB MOUNTAIN BIKE WHEEL SET

Are vuelta and aero max good brands?? do you guys have any recomendatio on brands??

Team Tortuga
    How about some new Kenda Small Block Eights? I am not sure how they would hold up on the road but would be a more versatile tire for riding both without all the changing. I run the Azonic Outlaws DH rims on my Kona Dawg which is excessive for a road ride but for a larger rider is good for hard trail ridin'. I do ride in AZ so that definitely has an impact on my wheel choice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ditch your LBS and invest your money in Schwalbe Racing Ralphs.
    I ride approx 90 miles a week on the road and trails on the weekends with mine and after 3 months they look as good as new. If you consider a bombproof and relatively light wheelset, I recommend Cane Creek Zonos SG Disc, still available from Cane Creek webshop for $250. A bargain!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    My son and I both use these and thrash on them pretty good. I have weighed between 300lbs and 260lbs. Currently 265lbs. I built mine myself, but using the same components. For $160, I couldn't buy the parts for that much. You're looking at about $100-110 for a set of XT 756 hubs and about $40 each for the rims and we haven't even got to the spokes, nipples and rim tape.

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d&productId=26

If you really do ride roads almost exclusively during the week and trails on weekends, it probably would be wise to invest in a separate set for each.. It would be a larger investment initially, but it would allow you to run more efficient longer lasting tires for riding during the week and a stronger wheelset with better dirt gripping tires for weekend trail riding.

Something like this would be just fine for commuting on a MTB:

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d&productId=60

You would also have to get an extra set of rotors and a cassette and to be perfectly honest, you might (not definitely, but possibly) have to adjust the (amount and placement of the) thin washers that go between the bearing cones and outside nut on the axles so you wouldn't have to adjust calipers and derailleurs each time you switch wheelsets. They might be perfect right off the bat and would likely be good enough to go and not notice any difference. That would likely be the case, but I just want to be open and honest about all the possibilities. But.... they might possibly be just different enough to make it worthwhile to make them exactly the same (as it relates to being able to switch wheelsets without any adjustments) so it is just a quick switch.

Still, in the long term, it would be far more efficient and enjoyable. JMHO.