mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Noob MB fork question....

Have picked myself up a Mongoose Tyax Super XC 2010 for a first bike to get me out cycling again....seemed to have a great spec and decent frame for not too great an outlay.

My dilemma is what to do with the Rockshox Tora 302 coil forks that come attached. Initially I am just planning to do mostly road cycling around the Western Isles of Scotland, and had just figured I would use the fork lockout feature for this. At 300lbs though, I know sussy forks aren't too hot.

Would I be better just detaching the forks when they arrive, flogging them on EBay and picking up some Surly rigid forks? Are there any heavy duty springs available for the Tora's that would give them any use at all? Any off roading I do will be fairly lightweight I imagine....but the roads aren't all together smooth in many places here, some some damping would be useful.

Many thanks in advance!

Former Bike Wrench
    The heaviest spring available for the Tora is for 220lbs +...pretty sure it won't work at 300lbs. So your idea of putting a Surly or similar rigid fork on is a good thing to consider.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I am 365lbs. I had my local shop find a cost effective solution for me. We came up with Marzocchi 44tst2 air shock. Marzocchi built it up with different internals for my weight. I run 110lbs and can jump it 4ft to flat and it is perfect. 120mm travel and lighter than stock too. They actually built 2 custom forks for me and my brother but my brother wound up buying a 650b bike so the 26er fork will not work. Carolina Fatz in Asheville, NC (828) 665-7744 has the second one in stock. I now have a 29er too so have considered selling mine if I decide to sell my 26er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for replies...most helpful.

I am now thinking about giving this bike to my better half and getting myself something a bit different next month. Will any harm come to these forks with me riding them on the road for the next month with the lockout engaged?

Cheers again.