mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Noob Clyde Looking for help with bike

Hello,

I am a noob clydesdale to riding and have been researching bikes for months trying to get myself out and riding. My many attempts at purchasing bikes on craigslist has been rough given that the bike is always sold by the time my schedule allows me to check it out.

Enough with my above rant, and i apologize if this is in the wrong section. But i just emailed someone about a 2008 Specialized Enduro SL Expert (Specialized Enduro Mountain Bike, XL) that they have listed for $800 (which is somewhat pushing my budget, but i am willing to pay the amount for a worthy bike). So now my question is does anyone have an opinion on the price and the bike model and such? Also, do you have any other bike recommendations that i should do research on? my budget would have to be under $800, and i am hoping to buy off craigslist or ebay.

Facts about me: I am 23 6'4'' 265lbs and have a very burly athletic build (i played D1 college football as a offensive lineman up until a year ago and decided to cut weight from 330). I am looking to use the bike for trail riding and hopefully move into some small jumping after building my skills. Also i will be riding around town and probably doing some longer rides with possibility of hopping curbs and such (which i have done before with the bikes my friends let me borrow when they want me to ride around town with them. i just dont want to break their bikes given they are pretty cheap department store bikes). In general i am somewhat of an adrenaline junky whether it be snowboarding, surfing, etc..

I appreciate your help and recommendations, and once again apologize if i posted this in the wrong location.

mtbr member
    The Specialized Enduro is a very good bike. It will do everything you are asking as long as it's in good shape. The problem with buying used when you are are noob is that you are going to have a tough time understanding the condition of the bike. Shocks and forks are only good for so many miles. They wear out and need to be serviced. All those teeth on the drive train get ground down under heavy use. I would bring a friend who knows bikes with you or look for a new hardtail that is in your price range.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    i definitely agree. I keep hearing people say buy used to get good components, but this is mountain biking.. stuff gets torn up, worn down, loose.. What im getting at is that I wouldn't never even think about buying a 5+ year old bike unless it was immaculately maintained.. and it takes a lot of knowledge to know what that looks like. So just like GOTA said, bring someone that knows their ish, OR just buy new from a bike shop, and buy yourself a sick bike once you are no longer a newb. the bike shop is cool because they will usually keep tweaking your bike and fixing it free of charge within a few months, and that's valuable. just my .02
    Rockhopper 29er

-FSA Carbon handlebars, stem, & seatpost
    -2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    GOTA & Jams_805 i really appreciate your responses. Luckily i got a hold of a buddy of mine who knows the "ish" just in time for my meeting with the guy from craigslist. Turned out my friend and i both thought the bike was a great deal and in excellent condition. I ended up getting the bike after inspecting the bike and chatting with the guy selling the bike. He was the original owner and was a weekend warrior and relaxed rider who kept the bike in immaculate condition. He bought the bike brand new in the end of 2009 and handed over all the manuals, receipts, and extra cleats for the clipless pedals he had.

Either way, i am now the new owner of a beast of a bike and am excited to get it better set to my size and get it out and about. Just need to make sure i don't jump into things that are way over my head .

mtbr member
    haha yeah ease into it man! post a pic if you can!
    Rockhopper 29er

-2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

My New Baby (Godzilla)!

Yea i am going to do my best to take my time and slowly work on my skills.

Here is my new baby: Currently waiting for a shock pump and new set of pedals that i ordered before i take Godzilla(the name i gave the bike) out for a real ride.
    Noob Clyde Looking for help with bike-2013-10-20-00.23.47.jpg

The pedals i ordered are Shimano PD-M324's as they have the platform side which i want to use; but also have the clipless in case i want to move into trying clipless. The pedals on the bike right now are crankbrothers candy, so i might look into selling them.

mtbr member
    looks awesome bro!! great bike for the price. what kind of tires are those?
    Rockhopper 29er

-2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Jams_805: I assume you are asking about the treads?

They are Panaracer Fire XC Pro 26x2.1

I feel as though my body size may call for a wider tire, but it's what i have for right now and i am going to ride the heck out of them (within reason).
    2008 Specialized Enduro SL Expert

-EJSD1989

mtbr member
    Real nice man! That's a nice bike for the $$$, it will surely be able to take a beating. Beats the hell out of a new rock hopper or whatever you get new for $800 now adays. Those tires may be a little on the narrow side but they're good tires, Panaracer's were "it" not all that long ago. Congrats on the new ride!