mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Noob buying a new bike. Question on rims.

I am completely new to the sport. Haven't ridden a bike in over 20 years. I am 6'6" 380# and on a tight budget for this bike. I settled on a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc from my local LBS. To beef up the bike he wants to change the rims. For $100 he will put on a set of Weinmann's free ride rims and he keeps the stock rims. I know the Alex rims that come on the bike are only 5mm but I can't find anything on the Weinmann rims. My question though is am I getting hosed by the LBS by accepting this "upgrade'?
    Last edited by SOBLE; 02-07-2011 at 03:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    One of the things that is going to hurt you is the 32 hole hubs. That means you have 32 spokes connecting the rims to the hub. 36 hole hubs are a much better option for clydes. I would also recommend going to a double butted spoke. I have the DT Swiss alpine spokes which are tripple butted, but the DT Swiss champion double butted spokes will suffice.

Its very difficult to get cheap wheels to hold up to a guy your size. I was 340 at my heaviest and had a lot of trouble keeping my wheels together. Of course it depends on the trails your are riding. If they are rough with a lot of rocks and roots, its gonna be harder to get something to hold up. If you are riding easy smooth trails or paved trails, the stock wheels may work fine (for a while).

I know nothing of the Wiennann rims, but if you search around here, there should be a lot of rims that big guys like. Stick to a downhill or freeride rim. The wider the better. Look at Sun Ringle MTX 33's, rhyno lite xl, or mavic downhill rims. Get a good downhill rim and good double butted spokes and it will help a lot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Oh and as a sidenote, you are probably going to have trouble with the fork at your weight. I don't know if they make a spring stiff enough, so you might want to look at bikes with an air sprung fork.

Plus at 6'6" you are probably going to have a lot of seatpost sticking out which you will most likely bend in short order. I would recommend upgrading to a Thomson seatpost. They are the strongest available.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have a ryno lite dh rims, 14 gauge spokes laced too a phil wood 36 hole hub that is for a tandem bike....$$$$$$$ but not a single issue in over 10 years. I had too search around in my city a bit but found a guy who does custom wheeles.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am 6'5" and 250lbs and had my LBS order 36 hole Velocity Chukker rims for my 24" Salsa Fargo. The following two links discuss wheelsets for heavy riders and how strong the chukkers are. They also come in 40 hole.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Wheels.asp

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/velocity.asp

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Previous seems good.

To answer your original question, I don't think the shop is hosing you. They'll not only need to pay for the rims but install them on your hubs.

Letting us know what sort of riding you plan on doing is an important part of getting help. As someone else said, if you plan to ride mostly smooth, paved paths, then the stock wheels may be sufficient.