mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Niner's CVA vs Santa Cruz VPP for Clydes?

Ok, so the correct answer to this question is "ride both and figure it out from there" . But, while it's cold and snowy in these parts I'll throw the question out to see what people think.

Are there any advantages to either setup for us Clydes? Which would be more suited for technical climbing with a 225lb rider aboard? Any other thoughts out there from those who have ridden both?

I think I've got myself narrowed down to Tallboy LT or a RIP 9. But that seems to be changing daily. Is it warm out yet

Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Don't write off DW-link, that is my favorite by far and I'm also around 225. I'm trying to get an ideal tt length on my next frame purchase so considering Niner/cva but it did not impress me as much as the DW-link suspensions by Turner and Pivot.

I found VPP to feel more like a single pivot sus but like you said, you are the best one to make that evaluation. Trying to get a second demo on the Niner so I can make a final decision as well. Not an easy decision when you are dropping so much on a frame!

Track Junkie
    I recently switched from a VPP (Nomad) and FSR (Spec Enduro) to a DW (Burner).

The VPP felt more active in the 2nd half of the suspension travel when set to an appropriate spring rate for our weights. It pedaled well when seated, but was sensitive to excessive bob and wallowing when standing to pedal/power-through technical uphill sections. This was a reasonable compromise for me, as the bike was used more for "All Mtn/Enduro" stuff, with occasional shuttle use.

The FSR was a nice compromise, pedaled reasonably well and was effective on the technical DH stuff. It still suffered from bob when out of the saddle and really putting the power down.

The DW is a great climber, both seated and standing for technical sections and sprints. The DW works well on most trails, but seems to stiffen up too much on fast/technical DH trails and bigger hits; almost like it's ramping up the spring rate too much.

I have not had a chance to run the DW bike with a coil rear shock. However, I did run both the FSR and the VPP with both an air (DHX Air) and coil (DHX Coil).

I'm really happy with the DW bike, probably my favorite of the 3 designs. I think that the current shock I'm running (Fox Float CTD Evo) is really holding back the potential of the DW design, and attributing to the poor feeling deeper into the stroke. I will probably swap out the shock soon to see if that's the case.

Remember to run the correct spring rates and damper settings to optimize the suspensions effectiveness. I hope this feedback helps!

-Octane

EDIT - Changed "Horst-Link" to "FSR"
    Last edited by Octane; 02-18-2014 at 06:33 PM.
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

Just Joshin' ya!
    I have a Niner Jet 9 Carbon and I weigh 220. It is a very firm ride. Very efficient. My CTD shock never leaves the descend setting and it still is super efficient. I stand and pedal and that bike just responds. I would not call it a plush ride though. I used to have a Titus Racer x with a horst link. I would say that the Racer X was slightly less efficient but a bit more plush. Both are fantastic bikes. I like 29 inch wheels though.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

Just Joshin' ya!
    PS, after 13 months of riding it very hard...on trails I probably shouldn't have, the frame cracked on the seat tube near the front derailleur. Niner replaced it within a week, no questions asked.
    Last edited by PrincipalRider; 02-16-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4 and 225. I picked up an XL Niner Rip 9 about a year and half ago. I too was deciding between that and the SC Tallboy. My deciding factor, was buying the Niner because my LBS didn't carry SC and the only place that had the SC, I don't care for.

I don't have any regrets with the Rip 9, the thing rides superbly. I upgraded from my old '04 Stumpjumper with custom wheels and full XTR. I haven't ridden the SJ since picking up the Niner.

Never ridden the SC though...

mtbr member
    I tried out both frames and prefer the Rip 9. I'm 6'4" 210lbs and my XL RIP climbs amazingly well. There's two sections of trail that I've never been able to climb up all the way: think steep, loose, and chunky rocks. And all of my friends have to get off and walk too. The first time I tried these sections on the RIP I pedaled all the way up, and have been pedaling up since. It's a great suspension design that performs well on both uphill and downhill.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    240 lbs on a Rip9. Almost as plush as my 6" GT force. Very stable pedaling and the rear tire stays glued on rocky ascents. My Fox CTD stays wide open as well. Sure, the suspension gives if you're powering out of the saddle. Get a lock-out shock or hard tail if that bothers you.
    Goat Rider

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    SC makes a solid frame, especially the carbon frames. Read SC carbon bike reviews and regardless of shocks, there's always great reviews about the frame itself. I have the bronson C in XL. I fell in love once I got it on the trails. Is it too much for what I usually ride? Possibly but it'll never be not enough when it gets rough. As far as the Rip9 I tried one but I couldn't fling it around like I wanted to. I just couldn't get used to the 29" wheel and make it do what I wanted. The 650b on the bronson gave me a great compromise. good luck with your choice. No matter what others say ride the bikes as much as you can and choose the one that fits you and most importantly the one you can have the most fun on. Regardless of bike climbing sucks.lol