mtbr member

New question here. Newbie rider looking for information about suburban city riding

Hi folks, I'm a big fella, about 6'1 and used to always ride bikes as a kid but obviously have gotten lazy these last few years.

Well with the price of gas here in Canada at a whopping $1.30 per Litre, I figure theres no better time to pick up some healthier habits and save on gas fare while I'm at it.

I see alot of similar questions posted in the forums but unlike the others, I will actually be specific about what I need:

I live in a heavily urban neighbourhood full of streets and sidewalks and literally NO jumps and *very* few dirt roads. I'd mostly be riding city sidewalks and suburban streets..

So I need suggestions on a complete bike that I'm not going to have to go buying or changing 5000 parts on. Money is really no object, I just want to know what I should buy that is the complete package, ready to go. IE: If you had a pretty hefty budget, here in 2011 with all the new models or packages that are out there, what would YOU buy?

If someone wants to go a step further, the store I am most likely going to purchase from is http://www.cyclepath.ca , their online site probably doesn't have nearly the inventory their storefronts do but maybe there is some general ideas there..

Alot of the terms used on this site are complete greek to me. Why the hell are us fat guys called "Clydes" or "Clydesdales" anyways? Very confusing and the FAQ in this forum doesn't even address it

Thanks in advance guys!

Cheers

edit: meant to say SUB urban, not urban like New York City.. think more like the burbs.. Wide streets, less traffic, very few pedestrians
    Last edited by duckdown; 04-11-2011 at 03:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Disc brake road bike like a Trek Portland, Soma Double Cross DC, etc, then again discs might require a little maintenance which is slightly more difficult than rim brake maintenance. Maybe a rigid 29er with gears. Might want to look into cyclocross options as well for some fatter tires but not quite MTB tires. It really just sounds like you should ride a road bike since you say few dirt roads. Will you be riding trails at all?

Check the legality of riding on the sidewalk before you start, it is very illegal in most places, albeit rarely enforced.

mtbr member
    Hi there, thanks for the reply

If it's a bike that's going to require maintenance all the time, that doesn't sound too convenient

I'd mostly be using it just for riding to the corner store, to a buddies house up the road, a trip to the pub, things like that. I'm in a regular suburban city where theres lots of road and open sidewalks with very few pedestrians.. I'd mostly be riding on the roads for sure

As far as trails go, I doubt I'd be riding any trails any time soon. Maybe I'd work up towards another bike once I start getting into better shape or whatever but for now it's going to be mostly pavement. The most "dirt" I'd be riding across is a small patch of grass or maybe some gravel near a baseball diamond or something. No exclusively off road terrain that I can possibly imagine

Thanks again for the help so far!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Clydesdales is a term that derives from bicycle racing. There is typically a class of large riders that are seperate because of their large (horse like size). I never took offense to it even when I was younger...when I raced I was like 6'3" and 205 lbs, now I'm about 240 and still don't care, I'm back on the bike and losing weight.

A few things to consider if you're looking at commuting and city riding, I'd start with a good hardtail and possibly a suspension seatpost,and switching the tires over to a more street friendly tread. Other than that, just get on and ride. I like you had gotten motivated recently, and got back on my bike after about 10 years away, and I'm loving it...I commuted in to work today (about a 16.5 mile ride) and I'm hoping to be bike only by late summer.

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    +1 on a rigid 29" bike... maybe find one with rack mounts and you can get pannier bags for extra versatility.