mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Newbie looking for bike reccomendations. LBS has been no help! HELP!

To start, I'm 28 6'2 and 345lbs. I started out at 409 lbs and have working strength training and running approxiamtely 15-20 miles per week. I'm looking for a bike that I can ride back and forth to my local gym of a morning. I have been eyeing the Specialized Hard Rock. I called my LBS that sells Trek to also see if they carried a X-Cal 4. The salesman told me they didn't carry anything for people over 250 lbs and I would need to lose some weight before I started riding. My spending limit is around $700 out the door. Can you guys reccomend anything? Would the Specialized Hard Rock be a good choice?

Thanks

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Tell that LBS to go f#$% themselves and go to another shop. Yes, most warranties don't cover over 250 (or 300 in some cases), but a good shop will stand behind you regardless. Hearing this kind of crap makes me sick... heaven forbid an overweight person want to do something to lose some weight.

The weakest link in the cheaper bikes will be the forks. For just riding pavement, either bike will work fine. I would not be hopping UP too many curbs though. If you aren't taking it off road, I would look towards either a Trek FX bike or a Specialized Sirrus type bike. I recently bought a full on road bike (a Trek Domane, my first EVER road bike) and it is MUCH more rewarding to ride on road than my off road bike is on road.

You needs to find a bike shop that makes you feel comfortable. I was 320 when I started shopping for a full suspension bike and not a single shop around me talked down to me about my weight. In fact, all of the shops told me I was silly for worrying about it at all. Find your shop first, then let them help you pick a bike.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    My son has a hardrock and it would be a good bike for you. Not that familiar with the Trek model, but if similar then fine. I just finished my bike shopping, 6'4", 250lbs so I have looked at a bunch of bikes. I agree with the post questioning what type of bike you are buying. In short, hybrid style is better for street riding, there is a dual sport style that can take smooth off road riding, and the hardrock is a mountain bike that can handle rough off road. If you just want to ride to the gym and maybe down a dirt road, get the hybrid style with 700C size wheels. I think that is what the previous poster is suggesting. Mountain bike tires suck on the road, so you really don't want to use them unless you are riding mostly off road. If you really will go off road in rough conditions, then a bike with an air fork is really needed for a clyde, otherwise it will bottom and make you unhappy. I have ridden my sons hardrock and the fork is not air and is the only thing negative about the bike. A bike I would suggest for you is the Specialized Sirrus for road only or Cross Trail for road and light dirt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You need an air fork or rigid to handle your weight. The Raidon on this Marin allows you to set the proper sag. The drive components are decent Alivio/Deore.
    2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 20 5 MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9 Hydraulic Disc New | eBay

mtbr member
    Please post the name and location of this LBS so we all know to avoid them. I've never heard that one before. Complete BS.

If you are primarily looking for something for the road you might want to consider a city bike. GT makes some good cheap city bikes called Traffic 1.0 & 2.0 with rigid forks. I still use my 1997 Marin Saulsalito which is the same kind of bike for getting around town. These urban bikes have great handling and easy riding positions. The rigid fork is going to be better for your weight than any cheap suspension.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The actual cost barrier you'll be up against will be getting an adequate fork (Solo Air is fantastic, and I'd say worth it), a decent crank (the really cheap internal bracket ones strip out really easily even at my mere 235lb), and hydraulic brakes if you ride anywhere with significant elevation change (the cheaper mechanical disks are hard to project much power through, but for mostly flatland stuff they're quite adequate if tune properly).

In that price range basically any hardtail frame sized for anybody our height is going to be GTG, it's the component spec that matters, and that's something a good LBS can help you with (go through the checklist above, as long as those components are good you're set). Just realize that the low cost teaser spec of the frame is designed to be barely adequate for skinny to median riders, and those parts are straight up inadequate for bigger guys - the crap LBS that already told you they have no desire for your business is simply staffed with folks too ignorant to understand what component tier is needed for somebody who doesn't fall within one standard deviation of normal size/height.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Re: Newbie looking for bike reccomendations. LBS has been no help! HELP!

I can't comment on the weight factor at all but my current (1st bike) is a hardrock 26". Like everyone else stated, it depends on the riding terrain but the fork will be the biggest issue. If riding on the road/paved trails, then it's good to go.
    Just do yourself a favor and get the disc brake version. I made the mistake of going with v-brakes.

Have you checked out Airborne bikes at all? Many people on this forum love the company and you definitely get much more bike for the $$$ than you would with the hardrock. Just my 2 cents

mtbr member
    Strong Cromoly frame and fork and solid 36h wheels, perfect for your intended use and in your price range.

Novara Buzz Bike - 2014 at REI.com
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    You are way better off riding a bike at 345 pounds than you are running. I started on a bike at 320 pounds. No real issues at that weight. Trying to run...nothing but issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I am a bit lighter at 235lbs, but I am 6'5". I ride an XL (size) 2013 Felt Nine 60 and beat the living snot out of it. I use for trails, street, rails-to-trails and I race it. So far, zero complaints. It has taken punishment, jumps, mud, water and the occasional crash and says "huh...is that all ya got?" I paid just over $1000 for it and have no regrets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    i am a formerly 300+lb down to 250ish since Jan 2014 and have lost weight first on the treadmill and then biking a paved lake trail for over 850 miles the last 2 months.
    i cannot express how much better biking is over walk/jogging on a treadmill, but that goes without saying.
    my LBS guy sold me a trek x-caliber 4 29er that i am very happy with. he told me he had sold one to a 400+lb guy and that he had lost over 80lbs riding. i have met this man and he backed up the story. trek website lawyers state that the actual limit is 300lbs but i think with tire pressure and reasonable trail choices that a heavier person would be fine. i have not experienced any failures related to my weight, but hand numbness is an issue i am dealing with. YMMV
    Last edited by TwistedLefty; 08-05-2014 at 06:18 AM. Reason: grammer

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If all you will be doing is riding from home to the gym, streets and maybe a back alley, any bicycle for $700 would be okay. Except a bike from that dealer you went too initially....

Most do have the manufacture's limit, but most bikes can handle normal riders as well.