mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Newbie with front shock question

So after searching this forum I still really did not come across an answer for my question. I am looking for a front shock that is reasonable priced and performs well for a heavy rider. I currently have a Manitou Splice Elite, 130mm travel with an upgraded spring kit on a 20 giant reign 3. The seals are constantly leaking after I ride and feels like it bottmos out. I am about 260 with gear and am looking for a front shock at a reduced price. I ride XC and some single track / slight downhill. I do not have a lot of money but know you get what you pay for. I was hoping to get some suggestions on shocks that would be better than what I have but not break the bank. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by beachthug64; 06-29-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    2008 Rock Shox Tora 318 Solo Air

Can be found on sale for $250 or less, comes in 100mm travel but a simple 10-15 procedure makes it a 130mm travel fork, the Air is reliable and is used by riders in this forum weighing 300lbs+, and it has a great damper with a lockout.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    2008 Rock Shox Tora 318 Solo Air
    i use the 2009 Rock Shox Tora SL Solo Air, its basically the same thing, and its great, you can set the pressure which means you can set it specifically to your weight and how you like it to feel... Ive had it for a few months and no problems, paid something like 180 on ebay new...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I just got one from Icycles for 200 brand new.

Extra Crispy
    +1 on the air fork. I have a Fox myself, and it's great to be able to set up the fork before rides depending on the terrain and your ride style. It takes a bit of time to do, but it's a much better ride I think.