mtbr member
    Jun 2006

newbie clyde needs shocks....

so I was told I'm a clyde. 6" 215lbs. I've been riding a fisher cake 3 dlx 05 (is this a XC or AM bike and what REALLY is the difference?)
    The bike is in stock form with SPV rear shock and Manitou Blacks up front. The fronts have problems with leaking oil and have been serviced several times by my LBS. Fine up until now but after starting the sport 1.5 years ago I can now hit trails and downhill a little faster and harder and noticed the fronts bottom out and the leaking oil more. The fronts rattle so much going through ruts and rock gardens that my computer will even shut off. LBS said I need a new fork. Don't want to blow the bank but obviously want a quality shock. I ride So Cal trails and not many rock gardens but a lot of RUT gardens. Any recommendations?

Captain Underpants
    How much travel does the current fork have?

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwest10
    Any recommendations?
    Your current fork is probably 120mm in travel. So look around for a fork in that travel range. Any 130mm for will probably work just as well. A travel-adjustable fork such as a Rockshox U-turn or Fox Talas would probably be ideal because then you can tweak the travel height to get the feel that you want. What's your price range? That'll determine which models you should be looking at.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I want to say 90% sure it's only 80mm. The Mantiou Black "Elite" is 100. Mine is a simple Manitou Black.
    Around 200 is what I'd like to stay under. I can wait for a sale I guess or buy online.
    I was thinking this...
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ro+Eta+07.aspx but I'm not hearing a lot of great stuff about them as a customer service oriented company?

mtbr member
    I want to say 90% sure it's only 80mm. The Mantiou Black "Elite" is 100. Mine is a simple Manitou Black.
    Around 200 is what I'd like to stay under. I can wait for a sale I guess or buy online.
    I was thinking this...
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ro+Eta+07.aspx but I'm not hearing a lot of great stuff about them as a customer service oriented company?
    You can probably try to get a decent deal on this, watch it and throw in a bid a few seconds before it ends.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-Fox-32-TALA...QQcmdZViewItem

With the Talas you can adjust your travel to 90mm for a steeper headangle for climbing or up to 130mm for a more raked out angle for DH.

long standing member
    It doesn't really matter which exact model it is, it just matters what travel fork the bike is supposed to have. I posted a link in my previous post that leads you to the archived webpage on the Fisher Bikes website that has the specs for your bike, a 2005 Gary Fisher Cake 3 Deluxe. According to that page it's a five inch travel bike with a 120mm fork. It is possible that the website specs are wrong (or the spec of your bike was altered from the original).

If you actually have a five inch travel frame then it probably is a little out of sorts with an 80mm fork. I'd recommend putting a taller fork on it. Is it possible that your fork is broken to the point that it's travel has shrunk down to only 80mm? According to the 2005 GF archive webpage none of the Cake series of bikes came with less than 100mm travel forks. If were you I'd try to get down to the bottom of this before you proceed.

Around 200 is what I'd like to stay under. I can wait for a sale I guess or buy online. I was thinking this but I'm not hearing a lot of great stuff about them as a customer service oriented company?
    I've received good CS from Marzocchi. But I've heard others have not. Either way, I wouldn't expect great performance out of a sub $200 fork, especially if you're a bigger rider. I'm not trying to be a gear snob, it's just the reality of component performance as it relates to price. If you can, save a little bit more money and try to pick up something like this, this or even this or this. Of course, that's assuming your bike needs a 5" travel fork. If it needs a 4" fork, just poke around for deals on something like a Rockshox Reba, I picked a closeout '05 up for well under $300 for my hardtail and it was a significant upgrade form the cheapo Marzocchi fork that came stock.

In regards to the XC/AM question, they're mostly just marketing terms. But nowadays 80mm travel forks only come on XC race bikes, lower end mountain bikes and possibly some dirt jump type bikes. Typical trail bikes run 4" and up in the front.