mtbr member
    Jul 2004

New XC hardtail - fork recommendations?

All, I just got a hardtail frame for XC. I haven't ridden XC for years - I've been riding long-travel for a while now.

Anyway, me, about 220, more with gear. Looking a good stiff short travel fork (80-100 mm).

Should I be looking at anything other than Fox for a fork?
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    I'm a bit heavier than you, if I where going to buy a new fork today it would be a Magura Durin. Reba wouldn't be my second choice, and the new sid looks like it could be good, not sure when that will be available.

I'm on an R7 platinum now and don't really have anything bad to say about it either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'l second anything by magura. I've been running my asgard(Air) for 2 years on my hardtail and it's a stiff lightweight fork. And I'm a good but heavier than you.

I'll also say anything by Marzocchi with air asist. I run a JrT with air assist and Zoki 66.

I only need a few extra PSi's to dial it in.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I guess I'd be looking for something with a 20mm axle. Just because it's XC and shorter travel doesn't mean you wouldn't appreciate the better tracking and steering response.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous
    All, I just got a hardtail frame for XC. I haven't ridden XC for years - I've been riding long-travel for a while now.

Anyway, me, about 220, more with gear. Looking a good stiff short travel fork (80-100 mm).

Should I be looking at anything other than Fox for a fork?
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member

I for one am happy...

with White Bros. forks. I am also 30 lbs heavier than you so stiffness isnt an issue.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    I'm on an R7 platinum now and don't really have anything bad to say about it either.
    I weigh 235lbs and also use the R7 Platinum. Also, happy with it. No problems.