z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

New wheelset on the way

I just got a new Scott Scale 970 in late April and to get into good enough shape to really enjoy it I have started commuting on my old Cyclocross bike. I built the CX bike back when I weighed 165 and rode 250 miles a week. That was back in 1997. The wheels have served me well and handled all sorts of abuse with aplomb but they needed replacing, the brake surface on the rear was getting thin. I weigh 210 now down from 220 and have been averaging 100 miles a week. So, I set out looking for a strong, somewhat light, inexpensive wheelset.

I tried the various LBS and all wanted to sell me a set of Mavic Aksium wheels or similar for around $350. My old wheels had 32 spokes and held up to lots of crazy offroading and commuting. The idea of 20 spoke wheels just did not sit well with me. Another LBS wanted just over $500 for a set of Mavic Open Pros laced to Shimano 105's. I just got done placing an order with VeloMine and got the same wheels and a new cassette for just under half that with shipping included.

I can't wait to get the new wheels on my trusty steed. 36 spoke Mavic Open Pro's and Shimano 105 hubs.

Wish me luck!

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Wheelset came in and I couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    Velomine has great prices but I suspect whether their wheels are handbuilt as they say they are...or if they are, the wheel builders are not that great or don't take much care in the build. I have a set of wheels from there and they arrived perfectly true but now after not a lot of miles...maybe around 600...my rear wheel won't hold true. I can true it myself but I think it needs a good going over by someone that knows what they are doing. This is on a road bike that doesn't see the abused that a mountain bike wheel would see. On the otherhand...my wheels from a true wheel building artist, Mike Curiak, are holding true without a problem after being thoroughly abused.

So just keep an eye on them and maybe have them checked by a competent wheel builder in your area if there is one to make sure tension is good and everything is as it should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.