mtbr member
    Mar 2010

new wheelset for a clyde

Hey iam a 6'1 285 clyde and the factory wheelset as finally gone on my rockhopper 29r ,looking for a decent wheelset and not break the bank looking for 2-250 per wheel. ride alot of northeast rocky / rooty trail . Iam also looking to find the widest tire/rim combo for this bike and avoid any rubbing.

mtbr member
    I had a set built with Halo Freedom 29er rims Chris King 15mm front/ HD rear hub 10mm Fun bolts in 36H out of the range you're talking but they are dead straight after 6 months and no hub issues, stock wheelset never stayed true and Shimano freehub broke pawls. Just after I got those Sun came out with MTX33s in 29er, have those on a 26er FR bike even in 32H they are bombproof. I'd still go 36H for 29er though. Mike Curiak (MikeSee on MTBR) has some MTX33 wheelsets in your range, not a fan of the Shimano rear hub for Clyde 29er purposes but the price range limits things. Although you could skimp on the front hub, seems like any shaved ape can make one of those fairly decently.

http://bigwheeldeals.blogspot.com/20...capital-b.html
    Last edited by socal_jack; 01-04-2011 at 09:21 AM.

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    x2 on Halo Freedom 29's. I have a factory built front wheel that I have been abusing for 2 years, and a Halo hoop laced 3x with a Surly hub in the rear. I have been very, very happy with this combo, and for $300-400, you can't go wrong. I also have a Halo Spin Doctor Pro hub on another bike that has been good to me so far, so the factory built set should do you right!

mtbr member
    Towards the end of the season i had a set of Stans built up for me. Flow rims and Ztr hubs, I relly noticed that they did not flex as much as the stock wheel set on my Hifi.

Underskilled
    +3 on Halo freedom, they are one of the few factory wheelsets that I trust. I am normally 100% hand built, but these impressed me.

If these do fail, you will need to spend a lot to improve.
    Mine did fail after a ton of abuse, took a while. I upgraded them with Chris King hubs to Kris Holm rims. Much stronger, but also much more expensive.

The Halo kit is exceptional value, but try not to bottom to the rims.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    At 285lbs, if your budget allows, I would try to get 'better-than-Shimano' rear hubs, especially with 29" wheels. That is where your budget will (should) feel the most pressure, but it is a wise investment if you can swing it. If you haven't grenaded the stock freehub yet, maybe a Hope Pro II would suffice. The DT-Swiss star ratchet type hubs, Hadley, and Chris King rear hubs all have good reps for strength. If I had to forego a nicer front hub for a little nicer rear hub, I would do it, but it might be a good idea to 'future-proof' your wheelset investment by making sure the front hub can be converted to any axle type you are likely to encounter over the expected lifespan of this wheelset in case you want to upgrade the fork at some point. Also, a wheelset like this can 'travel' and you may want to take it with you should you change bikes.

Build quality is also going to be very important for your clyde self as well as picking an appropriate set of wheel components that are somewhat 'matched' to who you are as a rider. Measure twice, cut once and all that rot....

If budget won't allow for a DT-Swiss, Hadley or Chris King rear hub, a Hope Pro II / Stans Flow wheelset is likely within your budget and much stronger/nicer (as well as wider) than what you are currently running.

Might be a good idea to consult someone like Mike Curiak at lacemine29dotcom. He builds a heck of a wheelset and is knowledgeable about putting together the right wheelset for a rider's unique set of circumstances.

mtbr member
    I'm 350 and run Sun Rhynolite's with Shimano Deore XT hubs on my rig without any issue. Granted, I don't ride as hard as it sounds like you do, but they have served me well. If you want, shoot me a PM and I can help with options. I just opened a shop, focused on building wheels for Clydes.

Phatt Tire Luva'
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    At 285lbs, if your budget allows, I would try to get 'better-than-Shimano' rear hubs, especially with 29" wheels. That is where your budget will (should) feel the most pressure, but it is a wise investment if you can swing it.

NO DOUBT! This might be the best bit of advice on this post. Relatively the same wt. as yourself - a few lbs. lighter when I was running the XT Stuff. I've gone through 5-XT freehub bodies on one set of wheels.

Last spring I had a custom set of wheels built by Jude Kirstein of Epic Wheels in Portland, OR...

Stan's Arch 29er w/Chris King ISO Hubs (15thru in Front, and a 10thru in the rear)... SMOKIN' wheel, and an even better build! 85+ rides beatin' the Snot out of them... took em' in to her for a quick check up... one spoke was out of true by an arguably insignificant amount!

FYI: She also rebuilt the last XT hub that I blew up prior to the new wheelset... at the very least she could most likely guide you well on your journey!
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

mtbr member
    I've gone through 5-XT freehub bodies...
    Curious... did those consist of both front and rear, or just the rear? The reason I started using them is because I have heard great things about these particular hubs. (Not all Shimano Hubs, but this model)

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by fattchris
    Curious... did those consist of both front and rear, or just the rear? The reason I started using them is because I have heard great things about these particular hubs. (Not all Shimano Hubs, but this model)
    Although the XT (756) rear hubs are among the better Shimano gear, some of us 'bigguns' can even wreak havoc on those XT freehubs (rear).

The XT front hubs are plenty strong.

Phatt Tire Luva'
    Those were all rear hubs... mind you - when I say destroyed the rear hub... more specifically cracked the freehub bodies. Every occasion was the same gig = cracked freehub. Funny enough, the front wheel was a radial lace - which never had a problem!

As I'm told another drawback with the XT Rear is the weight?!?!

To each their own I suppose - but it will be a long day before I ride anything other than a Chris King hub again (or at least that same caliber). Some things are worth waiting for, and saving an extra few bucks for the upgrade - IMHO, a Great set of wheels would be way up there on the list. Of important note also regarding wheels... again it's no secret that 29" wheels generally have more lateral flex to them. This is most commonly felt as a wheel that doesn't really track wheel, or the rider claims having a problem with steering or balance. With that said, the best thing you could do to off-set this (particularly as a Clyde rider) is go with some sort of thru axle. I'd argue that the XT stuff just isn't burley enough to take on the demand of this setup.

A quick note on my above failed freehub posts - those were all on 26" wheels... I would not like to find out what happens on a 29er setup.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone out there that would argue - that next to a good frame comes good wheels. Likewise, despite the popular belief apparently on this particular forum... there are much better hubs than Shimano XT out there.

For those that have never ridden anything other/better/different than XT... what do you have that to compare to??? As well, those making the arguments about XT is plenty good... the same argument could easily be made when someone goes from a Kmart branded wheel to a full on Shimano Deore wheel. And again, I would question - what do you have it to compare to??? It's all relative. Once you've owned a set of wheels other than, or better than XT - then you have a leg to stand on.

At the end of the day - it's gonna come down to what puts that S!@#-eating grin on your face before/during/after a ride... and better yet - what does it for you... is different than what does it for me! The above is(are) just my experience(s)... and what I've found to work.
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

mtbr member
    It's good to hear when people have a wealth of real-world experience with various products. I think any advice given is worth considering.

I totally agree that a good wheelset, especially for us bigger folk, is on the top (if not THE top) of the priorities list.

Thanks for the input!

Does this look infected??
    I went round and round for a month or so deciding on a wheelset for my first 29er build.

I'm 6'3 350lbs and am pretty hard on everything so I contacted Mikesee from lacemine29.com and bounced emails back and forth till we came up with a bombproof set of wheels to handle my bigness....

Sun Ringle MTX 33 rims, King ISO Hubs with funbolts in the rear and triple butted DT Spokes with the locking brass nipples.

Yes they are pricey but have held up perfectly so far, still as true as the day I got em.

Mike really knows his stuff and he will be getting another order from me in the spring when
    it's time for me to build a SS.

The one thing every clyde here can probably agree on is not to skimp when it comes to wheels.

Rob

mtbr member
    +1 on both the MTX 33, and lacemine29.com. Heard nothing but GREAT things about both

Phatt Tire Luva'
    fattchris & robd928: Nice to hear some respectable quality builds being ran out there!

Just a quick note on a few things in the above two posts... for those following this post...

Brass nipples for big riders = an absolute MUST. Forgo the minute weight savings of alloy for the fatigue strength and longevity of brass!

And those not knowing what a Funbolt is... arguably - one of the most secure, and strongest ways to keep a rear wheel on a bike!

My geared rig has a 10mm QR thru axle on the back (this is THE only thing I would/will change on her buildup), but my most used steed by a long shot = SS, Funbolts all the way!
    Ciao,

-A-

mtbr member
    Brass nipples for big riders = an absolute MUST. Forgo the minute weight savings of alloy for the fatigue strength and longevity of brass!
    +1

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Qanuk

As I'm told another drawback with the XT Rear is the weight?!?!

Don't sweat the weight of a hub. A couple hundred grams here is insignificant. The only place a small amount of weight like this can be felt is the outer circumference of the wheel, which would be the tire and rim.

Bearings are a big issue too but there is really no way to test them under load. You have to believe the manufactures specs. I've seen people turn their bikes upside down and spin their wheels and say, " look at how long this baby spins, that's a top quality bearing."

mtbr member
    I'm running Halo Freedom Disc rims (36 hole) with an XT front hub and surly rear (SS). I go 250 and ride rigid singlespeed 29er in North Carolina.

They were hand-built and I haven't needed to true them yet after 1 year of riding 2-4 days per week (almost year round).

I've always had excellent luck with Shimano XT hubs, but it looks like a few others haven't.

Underskilled
    All good advice up there, but I have to disagree with one bit. DT Swiss copied the CK design, but it is not as strong. If you are spending enough to buy, dt , spend the extra to get CK.

If you are buying rims seperatly, not complete wheels, the Kris Holm Freeride is better than the Halo Freedom.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've gotta give props to a Mikesee laced MTX 33 29er rear wheel. I previously had him lace a Kris Holm 37mm rim and it didn't stay straight for long. This new MTX 33 29er wheel has been strait as an arrow for about 6 months. I'm 320.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413
    I've gotta give props to a Mikesee laced MTX 33 29er rear wheel. I previously had him lace a Kris Holm 37mm rim and it didn't stay straight for long. This new MTX 33 29er wheel has been strait as an arrow for about 6 months. I'm 320.
    What hubs did you go with?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    With the old wheel (Kris Holm) I had a shimano XT 756 hub that I blew the freehub out 6 times. This prompted a new hub purchase. I was looking at Hopes and building up a wheel, but ended up contacting Mikesee. He gave me a great deal on a new wheel with a used DT Swiss 440 FR hub (he put in new ratchets). Its been great so far. I would have broken at least one shimano freehub by now, but the 440 is going strong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fattchris
    +1 on both the MTX 33, and lacemine29.com. Heard nothing but GREAT things about both
    Mike built my MTX33's with Hope Pro 2 hubs and the rear has the steel free wheel body. They are great and have held up to my 300+ arse. Not cheap but better than buying new wheels every year or even more often.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    Mike built my MTX33's with Hope Pro 2 hubs and the rear has the steel free wheel body. They are great and have held up to my 300+ arse. Not cheap but better than buying new wheels every year or even more often.
    What price range would a build like that fall in?

mtbr member
    $660 shipped for the set.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Blunts

I went with some Velocity blunts for my Gary Fisher 29er and have'nt had to true them yet.

Big Boy
    I was looking at the spinergy cyclones when i started my search. They are right in your price range and from what i hear the have "hadley" hubs or some technology they bought from hadley. I ended up getting a flow/hope pro build, but they might be a bit outta your price range.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

Members who have read this thread: 0