Two Wheeled Terror

New wheels for the long haul

Well I am in the market for wheels and I have had several ideas about how to go about accomplishing this. I am a heavier guy at 6' 200 and probably closer to 220 when I go out for longer rides on light trails. I already taco'd one rim going over the front and im sure that the rear is just waiting for an embarrassing time to explode on me. When I replaced the front I got into a rhyno lite 32h and I really like the stability I have in the corners. So I have two options and one is rather more expensive than the other. However I knocked out the rhyno lite as well.

1. I buy a set of 36h rhyno lite rims and xt hubs and take them to my lbs to build.
    2. I send prowheelbuilder.com my set of rims and let them do it.
    3. I live in socal. I am sure theres a wheel builder around me but I am not aware of it.

I am pleased with the rhynos so I dont want to ditch them. I dont mind the weight a bit. I could use suggestions on hubs I suppose. I have not had a problem with the older xt rear hub or the front deore xt in the rhyno.

A few details. I still use rim brakes and this bike has full commuter duties as well. I want really durable wheels and while I dont mind price tags I am a value oriented person. It doesnt have to be shiny or cool.....just tough. Thanks in advance guys.

stamped and snail mailed

mtbr member
    Not sure about going with XT hubs. I've blown XT's and XTR's up several times. They just don't hold up with us big guys. At 200lbs you're on the light side of most of us.

Below is a thread from a few years ago, but has great info in it. The only update to my post is my wheelset now has well over 15,000 miles on it and still running great. I clean out and re-grease the hubs once or twice a year.

wheelset for clyde

Woody

Two Wheeled Terror
    Thanks for the input woody! There are enough choices on rims and hubs to make my head spin honestly. I wasn't even considering 400 for a hub but if you've got 15k on yours.....well that's pretty convincing.

I did have one more question for the group. Do professionally/custom rims and hubs really make the difference? I don't have a lot of experience but I am tired of untrue rims and I do not have a desire to go over the bars again either lol.

Yeah I'm kind of an in between weight for sure. I've been reading in the Clyde section because I tend to play pretty hard and after researching spokes and wheels in general found out why I bomb rims a little easier.

Beamed from my dumbphone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post

I did have one more question for the group. Do professionally/custom rims and hubs really make the difference? I don't have a lot of experience but I am tired of untrue rims and I do not have a desire to go over the bars again either lol.
    YES!
    LBS' all say they can build wheels and some can, but I truly believe it is an art and you will not regret going with a professional wheel builder.
    In my post from a few years ago give those guys a call or send them and email and pick their brain and see what they recommend for you. FYI - Peter isn't the most talkative guy

Woody

Two Wheeled Terror
    I really appreciate the help honestly. I was about to pull the trigger and thought it better to ask first than waste money first. Saving for a quality set of rims/hubs will definitely pay off if I save a bit more. Looking at a rough estimate and reading the info you sent me makes me want to do this right the first time. Never thought I would spend more on rims than a set of forks but it's looking like that is really easy with quality equipment.

It also makes me want to reconsider upgrading just the wheels or finally getting with the times and going to disc brakes lol.

mtbr member
    No problem man and it's just one mans opinion.
    Did you read this thread about XT hubs and us big boys?
    I need a Clyde-proof rear hub/freewheel!

It should steer you away from XT

Woody

Two Wheeled Terror
    Actually I have xts from the late 90s. There was a post in there about those being more durable and for what i've done to the rear hub I would have to agree. They may not be bulletproof but they should survive until I can build a better set of rims.

stamped and snail mailed

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    One alternative. If your rear is the standard 135x10 drop outs, ive bern on a Shimano zee, 135/10 thru bolt using the dt swiss rws. 32 hole on a mavic 521 with straight spokes. Its bern absolutely bomb proof. The make a 20mm front zee hub, or you can go with the xt front that cones in 15 or even an slx fir less money.

I didnt have all that great of an experience with the standard qr xt hub. But i think for ys clydes, the thru bot hubs makes more sense and really stiffens things up.

The Zee and Saint are made fir downhilling, but the extra beefiness is a good thing fir us clydes in terms of durability,

Two Wheeled Terror
    I have the 9mm qr front and rear but I am now looking at getting a current frame to build. I'm selling my truck as is. Time to get a nice bike to replace it

Beamed from my dumbphone