too fat to care!

New wheels for a Clyde......I have choices

Having been out of cycling for a few years and only just getting back into it my encyclopedic knowledge of all things shiny and mountain bikey are our the window.

I need new wheels, we specifically a new back wheel. My local bike shop has replaced spkes 4 times this year (Shimano 475 hub with a Mavic 117 rim) but almost every time I go out and hit any trail less smooth than perhaps a flat road the inevitable ping happens and there's a broken spoke flapping about.

So my options at the moment are:

The FSA XC-105 wheelset, a set of Shimano 475 laced to Sunn Mammoth rims or I just buy a Deore hub laced to something like a Mavic 321 or 521.

Money isn't exactly in abundance at the moment so i'm trying to keep the costs down.

Also being a Clyde (6 foot tal and 322 pounds) it needs to be strong. I'm in the UK so it's uk shops only for me, but I'm really looking for advice on parts rather than where to buy.........any help is much appreciated.

Former Bike Wrench
    Sounds like your not exploding Shimano freehub bodies, but I would go with the Deore M529 hubs as they are a heavier duty freehub over the standard Deore M525.

Rim wise the Mavic 321 or 521 would be a good choice along with Sun MTX or Rhyno Lite rims. Go with quality spokes from DT, Wheelsmith, or Sapim.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    ^ ^ ^ ^ What he said ^ ^ ^ ^

native.
    Mar 2010
    another +1 on the advice above. I've got a couple sets of XT hubs laced to Rhyno Lites, there's nothing light about the wheels...but there's also nothing light about me! Those are the only off the shelf wheels I own and besides an initial truing after the first few rides, we're still ok!