Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

New stumpjumper fsr expert 29er at 325ib. Upgrades??

Hey all. So I just purchased a new 2011 specialized stumpjumper fsr expert 29er. Just curious if there is anything I should look into as far as upgrades to hold my weight(325lbs). Thanks as always
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New stumpjumper fsr expert 29er at 325ib. Upgrades??-img_00000020.jpg  

Last edited by jordan2345asx; 12-30-2012 at 09:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice bike you got there

Get your setup right with what you got first. Make sure you got your pressures and sag sorted properly in your fork and shock. Find a tyre pressure that suits your weight, perhaps look into going tubeless if you're having to run super high pressures to avoid pinch flats.

First upgrades I would be looking at is probably upgrading your front brake to increase stopping power, maybe just get a bigger disc on the front for now or if you can afford it then a set of Hope M4 or V4 brakes will make a huge difference.
    Getting a stronger wheelset on there would be high on my list too. Something like a Stans Flow ex laced to Hope Pro II hubs(The hi lo hubs you have don't last long if you ride in wet, muddy, gritty conditions.). The Hope hubs will run forever and have sealed cartridge bearings and the stiffer wheelset won't flex under your weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nice bike!

My only concerns are the wheels. I just picked up a 2012 Yeti SB95 with DT Swiss XR400's and I tweeked a wheel in the first 10 miles. I don't know how the DT Swiss 520SL will hold up but I really suggest a set of Stan's Flow Ex wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the advice. I will talk to my shop about those upgrades. They were kinda leaning towards not going tubeless with my weight but I will talk to them again. Luckily I got a pretty good deal on the bike so should have a few bucks left over for upgrades

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sounds like the stans are a good set of wheels i will have to look into them for sure and thanks for the advice and comment on the bike

turtles make me hot
    If your wheels have aluminum spoke nipples, swap them out now for brass. I weighed about 280 when I bought my Stumpjumper. I was pulling the nipples out of the rims like it was my job.
    Put some Flows on it with some high volume tires so you get some flotation.
    That looks like a 203mm rotor up front. That's as big as they get.
    One other thing. The seatpost and clamp that came on my 09 Stumpy were junk. I run a Thomson post and a Syntace clamp. Been trouble free.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am not sure what seatpost and clamp are on it now. It came with a command post but I am not a fan so I just took it off and am now selling it and the shop threw something on for me. And I will start my search for some stans wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan2345asx View Post
    I am not sure what seatpost and clamp are on it now. It came with a command post but I am not a fan so I just took it off and am now selling it and the shop threw something on for me. And I will start my search for some stans wheels.
    You can always sell the DT's to help offset the cost of the Stan's wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That is a very good idea I am not sure why i didn't think about that myself what would my set of dt520's be worth

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Other than wondering whether the shock is rated for your weight, I'd say don't upgrade anything! Nothing is going to make the bike ride particularly better, so ride it until you break something / wear it out, then replace that part with something better. That is a nice bike - ride it first, it might not need more money!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I upgraded the wheels on my 2012 Stumpy FSR Comp 29 just before the snow hit. I went with Hope hubs and Mavic rims with 36 spokes. I rode them a few times, and they felt noticeably stiffer than the stock wheels, but I won't be able to do a full evaluation of them until I get out somewhere warm.

I weigh in at about 270, and destroyed a freehub body last summer. The LBS replaced it, but the Hope Evo Pro 2 hubs are built a little stronger and have an optional stainless steel body, which should be able to stand the torque from a heavy guy better than the stock alloy freehub.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Tootalluk thank and that is more like it on the upgrades nothing till it breaks. I still might see how much the stock dt swiss are worth and my lbs will give an awesome price on some stans.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Really dial in the suspension set up. I tested a 2013 FSR before buying my Camber and it was definitely not happy with me on it and I weigh less than you (not by a whole lot). Get the suspension dialed in before you start fixing "problems" as they may go away once the suspension is dialed in.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    Other than wondering whether the shock is rated for your weight, I'd say don't upgrade anything! Nothing is going to make the bike ride particularly better, so ride it until you break something / wear it out, then replace that part with something better. That is a nice bike - ride it first, it might not need more money!
    I normally agree and even applied this thought process to my DT XR400's even after everyone told me they would fail under my weight. I tweeked a wheel the first day. I don't know enough about the particular model DT wheels the OP is using but if their anything like the DT XR's, he needs to swap them out now rather than later while their still in new like condition.

As for the OP, find someone running Stan Flows and compare the ring size to your DT's. Stan sent my shop the wrong front wheel. So they have a Stan mounted on the rear and a DT XR400 on the front...there is a big visual difference between the two. The Stan's wheel is much wider. Stan's Flow is also beefed up in the arch area...think cross section than my DT's.

Now don't get me wrong, the DT XR400's and 350 hubs are nice but their not designed for our weight and for XC/Trail riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Very good advice on the suspension first. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Fair call on swapping components if a good deal can be struck whilst they are 'nearly new'. I can vouch for Stans Flow and Chris King hubs. I personally am a heretic here in the UK and not a fan of Hope hubs. They are fair and certainly not paying a premium if you can get Stans / King at a decent price.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Hammerhead bikes has old model Flows for $50.. just sayin'.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Wow that is a great deal I may not have a choice but to pull the trigger

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Just make sure the hole count matches your hubs.... have them relaced to your stock hubs for now and ride on.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    Hammerhead bikes has old model Flows for $50.. just sayin'.
    Cool, I may pick up a set for my old KHS.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I thought about jumping on them, but after running Salsa Gordos on my 26", I will be adding a set of those to my bike... heavier, yes.... strong, absolutely!
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I thought about jumping on them, but after running Salsa Gordos on my 26", I will be adding a set of those to my bike... heavier, yes.... strong, absolutely!
    Heavy isn't always a bad thing...especially when it comes to wheel sets and Clydesdales.

turtles make me hot
    Good luck finding a set of Gordos. They stopped makin' them. I need two sets.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have that exact same year and model of bike. Mine is a XL, I'm just over 6 foot and was about 265 pounds in the late fall of 2011 when I bought it. 235 now.

I would not recommend going tubeless on those rims. I tried several different combinations of tires and was never able to get anything that was sufficiently secure to make the risk worth the reward. To keep it from burping you had to run so much pressure that you might as well be running tubes except for the thorn protection. Those rims are too narrow to make good use of a wide tire as well.

Also, at my weight riding fairly aggressively on some reasonably technical terrain the wheels were taking a beating. I figured I probably could have gotten a year, maybe even 2, out of them, but I decided it was better to transition before they were junk and thereby gain a set of wheels as spares or backstock for future products. I replaced them with a Hope Front/King Rear laced to WTB i23 rims, brass nips, DT Comp spokes, tied and soldered. The wider UST rims, with high volume tires are WAY WAY WAY better than what came stock. I can run pressure down into the teens if I want to, securely. The wide rim presents a lot of tread to the trail. The high volume makes the suspension even more plush.

Make sure you have a good mechanic go though those wheels before you ride them too much. Mine came way under tensioned.

Other than that...about 6 months in the brain failed and I had to send that off for 5 weeks for repair. About a year in the command post failed. I go through rear break pads like tissue paper and prefer the kool stop to the SRAM brand. I went through 3 chains (1 kmc, 1 sram, 1 shimano) each logging no more than a couple hundred miles, before I got a Campy chain that is going to make 1,000 miles easy. I've I'm on my 3rd granny ring and 2nd big ring. I had to have 1 break lever rebuilt. I've lost track of tires, but they all failed due to sidewall cuts. Not too bad a toll really for the mileage and the terrain.

I found the stock bar to be a little narrow so I went with a wider, riser bar.

You should probably get on strava if for no other reason that it makes it easy to track mileage on components which is great for Clydes because we tend to be harder on equipment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Perfect info especially since mine is also an xl and I am also 6'1 but a bit heavier than you were when you started. Thanks now I just need to get out and ride the dang thing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast