mtbr member
    Jul 2009

New Rider looking for advice...

Ok folks, I'm looking to get into riding over the next couple of weeks and im all befuddled on what type of bike to get...

Im looking to spend around 400.00 to start. I am 28 years old 6'4'' tall and 370lbs.

I have read some good things about the Specialezed Hardrock bikes but not sure if the 22" frame is right for me.

I have been pointed at the Kona Dew as well but its 450.00 and not carried locally for me.

I am really trying to find something in the 400 or less category to get started. I dont mind doing upgrades monthly or even every other month to get it up to par if i had a plan on stuff to upgrade etc.

Reason for pricing and upgrading is I am currently a stay at home dad on a fixed income but I NEED to do this the thought of riding gives me chills and is something i am so greatly interested in now that i cant get it out of my mind.

Any help would be appreciated thanks alot!

BIG and Bald
    First of all...what is the type of riding you are wanting to do? Do you think you might eventually get into riding trails or strictly pavement?

Take a look at the Specialized P All Mountain bike. You need to spend a little extra now since you're carrying that much weight. Believe me, I know!!! The Hardrock is a decent entry level ride. The P frame is a bit beefier and I think would suit you well.

If you're just going to be riding on mostly pavement for some time, check out the Specialized CrossTrail at $440.

I know you've set yourself a budget but what good is a $400 bike if it's sitting to the side with something broken? However, the rule of thumb is to purchase the best bike you can afford. It's not about how much your bike costs but rather how well it will hold up. Good luck!!!
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i'd say im going to be 99% pavement for now. we have a 12 mile rail trail opening up here with the largest pedestrian bridge in the world (so NBC says anyway) opening this fall and I plan on getting in shape to do the entire thing. I looked at the P and it looks great, you really hit home when you spoke about spending the extra to have a better bike and I am going to give it a good shot and test ride one.

This is the one i found at the lbs http://bikeway.com/itemdetails.cfm?libid=47836

Should i bother testing the hardrock or shoot for the P series? Also the P series comes in different sizes I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume i want the XL :P

I dont see the crosstrail on their site but will look for it the lbs when i check out the P and for the 9.99 difference if the P makes it beefier im all about the beef...less strain = less downtime.

Thanks FireBall

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So I went down to the local LBS today and test road the Specialized Hardrock, Specialized CrossTrail and the Rockstomper...

For me the Most comfortable was the CrossTrail and i picked it up. Wow what a wake up call riding 1.5 miles on your first day...it burns so good!

Anyone have suggestions for some better inexpensive pedals? it came with somewhat plastic pedals and the saddle....well that's a whole nother store OW....time for a big boy saddle any suggestions out there as well?

Other than that its nice i like it and look forward to building my stamina and hitting up a 5k ride within the next few weeks.

mtbr member
    glad you picked up a comfortable bike. good luck getting in better shape and those longer rides! just try and add on a little at a time and you'll be going 10 miles in no time.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 890
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL

BIG and Bald
    Great choice on the ride. The gearing on the Crosstrail is definitely more friendly than an actual mtb especially on pavement. What are your feelings on the fork? Does it hold up well? Not at all? Which one did you get? PICS MAN!!! Show that new toy. I'm itching to get one as a new commuter ride.

As for a "big boy" seat...bigger is not always better. It's going to take a little bit of time to get those areas broken in and used to sitting on a saddle. Invest is a pair of riding shorts with padding. You can either get a pair of baggies or the tight spandex type and wear regular shorts over them. Yes, I know, another expense but you've stepped over to the dark side now. WELCOME!!! Take a look at www.aerotechdesigns.com . They've got cycling gear for those sized blessed individuals such as ourselves.

One other thing. I hope you got a helmet. It's always better to be safe than sorry. CONGRATS!!!
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    On the pedals...I would say that if the plastic ones are making you uneasy you can grab a pair of regular old Wellgo platform pedals for short money. They've never let me down. Granted I'm 270lbs, but I use them on my track bike and they've taken alot of abuse over the years. They wont break on you and while you might get them all bashed up you wont feel so bad about it because they only cost something like $20.