mtbr member
    Jul 2009

New to Mountain biking, some questions

So i think this is my first post. Im just getting into mountain biking, and i found a Trek 800 sinlge track on craigslist for a good price, just to see if this is a hobby ill like, and i fell in love with it already.

Im a big rider, 6' 5" 320 lbs, and i figured this bike would hold me, and so far its done pretty well. I dont want to put alot of money into this bike, but i want to make it stronger.

Today out on the trail i managed to bend my left pedal pretty good when i came down on a rock. What is a good but not too pricey pedal for big people?

Also the grips on the handle bars are coming off, and one has a hole in it, are all grips pretty much the same, or are there some with higher quality that wont fall apart so fast?

I think thats it for now. Thanks

mtbr member
    I don't ride platforms so I won't bother giving you a suggestion for pedals, but as far as grips go get a pair of lock-ons. Pretty much every bike shop have them, and you'll never have to worry about them slipping. They normally run around $20-$30.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sixate
    I don't ride platforms so I won't bother giving you a suggestion for pedals, but as far as grips go get a pair of lock-ons. Pretty much every bike shop have them, and you'll never have to worry about them slipping. They normally run around $20-$30.
    Was just reading about lock ons and seems like the way to go, thanks.

Not a lurker
    IMO, platform pedals are all about the same. Sure some are better but if I was you I'd just get a mid-priced set of metal platform pedals. Another thing you might look into upgrading is the rims or even the whole wheelset. Rims/wheelset can make or break a bike.
    ^Rides a Specialized
    MTB Name = Leg Ripper Offer
    I'm Mormon. =)

Mojo MadDuc

Grips

EJames,

If you have big hands and plan on riding alot, I would recommend a set of Oury's. They are good for big hands and will help you stay comfortable on longer rides. They are about $8.00 a set and they can be safety wired on the bars. Lock on's are nice but they are expensive and will shredded when you wreck and are expensive. I have been using Oury's for years and I won't ride with anything else. Try them you won't be disappointed especially if you have bigger hands. I hope this helps.

MadDuc916

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDuc916
    EJames,

If you have big hands and plan on riding alot, I would recommend a set of Oury's. They are good for big hands and will help you stay comfortable on longer rides. They are about $8.00 a set and they can be safety wired on the bars. Lock on's are nice but they are expensive and will shredded when you wreck and are expensive. I have been using Oury's for years and I won't ride with anything else. Try them you won't be disappointed especially if you have bigger hands. I hope this helps.

MadDuc916
    That sounds good for me thank you. Ill look into it

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    cheap solid platforms you say? .. I've had excellent luck banging around this set of Wellgo LU95 pedals.. they are wide and use 2 screws per seam to hold them onto what look like aluminum bricks.. and I have found nothing more sturdy. Oh and did I mention they're only $15-$20.. I'm 6'2" and was $320 when I got them.. they've slammed into rocks, pavement, trees, and the back of my leg more than a few times.

The downside? ... They have an intense toothie grip pattern along the edges.. which holds shoes great.. but if you slip, they'll bite into you like a rottweiler, I should know. (Actually the bite marks look like rows of large teeth and ppl thought I was bitten by a person, and I'll leave it at that.)

For grips, I went with Ergon GP1 .. they are wing shaped and usually $30-35 .. worth every penny, they stave off numbness and help keep my arms in a straight line towards my brake levers from the elbow down. They are a very different experience from normal round grips, but for me this was in a very positive light. They also come in 2 sizes and the L is *really* large. It fit my neanderthal hands perfecto*
    Be excellent to each other.

BIG and Bald
    Quote Originally Posted by The Red
    I'm 6'2" and was $320 when I got them..

WOW!!! You're pretty expsensive, aren't you? hehe
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBallKY
    WOW!!! You're pretty expsensive, aren't you? hehe
    I meant 320#.. lol
    Be excellent to each other.