Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

New Hub....Again

Just brought my 2011 Trek 4300 to the LBS again today with a shot rear hub. This is the second time in 3 months the hub has gone out on me. The first time was a complete failure while going up hill. This time there was no failure just horrible noises when free wheeling. I am looking at getting a new wheelset/hub to help end this problem.

Guy at the LBS was reccomending a set of bontrager mavericks but idk that much about wheelsets. I want something relatively strong with a solid hub that wont strip. The current wheels on 4300 have stayed true and strong, it is just that the hub keeps getting destroyed.

Any reccomendations on a solid wheel/hub combo that won't break the bank. I'm not looking for anything fancy or superlight just somethign reliable. Thanks!

local trails rider
    Define "break the bank".

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Former Bike Wrench
    Rebuild the rear wheel with a M529 rear hub, heavier duty freehub body

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I guess $350-400 is what I could spend.

local trails rider
    I've had good luck with wheels built on Hope hubs. I've bought them from:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/K...?ModelID=63713

(check your country and currency settings to see what it will cost)

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    +1 on the Hopes. Great hub for the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

DIY all the way
    +1 on the Hope's. Good quality, and nice cheap standard industrial bearings all the way. So a new set of bearings is real cheap.

Magura

Former Bike Wrench
    Just make sure to include $70-$100 in your budget for a XT or PG990 cassette (or for a steel freehub body) if you go with the Hope.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hope Pro all day long....

mtbr member
    Just suck it up and get the King hubs 36 spoke heavy duty bolt on. I used to blow hubs all the time...built up a set of 36 spoke kings 3 years ago and haven't had any problems since.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    Just suck it up and get the King hubs 36 spoke heavy duty bolt on. I used to blow hubs all the time...built up a set of 36 spoke kings 3 years ago and haven't had any problems since.
    Yes CK hubs have worked well with for me also, you can pick up used on Ebay also and totally rebuildable when needed...

Underskilled
    This is quite a common clyde problem, high torque and cheap ratchets do not work together.

I have done a TON of research on this and spent over $1000 getting hubs.

The ultimate solution is the Chris King. It is one of the finest pieces of engineering I have seen (and I am an engineer). It will never fail under your torque, I would not be surprised if it could take the torque from a V6.

The mid range solution is Hope Pro2 (preferably EVO). do not get if 150mm, only the 135.

The lower price solution is the Shimano Saint. This should not be confused with other shimano designs, this one is a stunner.

Less than the pro2 and probably stronger. Weighs a ton though.

I have a pro2 front and saint rear at the moment.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    I still vote for Hope. They are also rebuildable, tough, light, and cheapish. Mine has withstood 320 pounds of body weight powered by a set of legs that can squat 500 pounds and I am a major pedal masher...not smooth at all. Never a hiccup with them. CK is certainly a fantastic product but you are also paying a hefty price of a name.
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Underskilled
    " CK is certainly a fantastic product but you are also paying a hefty price of a name."

The CK is more than just a name, the quality is unrivaled. There is no hub out there like it.

You get what you pay for with both.

Hope is a fantastic product, but absolutely no where near the quality or design of CK.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant View Post
    This is quite a common clyde problem, high torque and cheap ratchets do not work together.

I have done a TON of research on this and spent over $1000 getting hubs.

The ultimate solution is the Chris King. It is one of the finest pieces of engineering I have seen (and I am an engineer). It will never fail under your torque, I would not be surprised if it could take the torque from a V6.

The mid range solution is Hope Pro2 (preferably EVO). do not get if 150mm, only the 135.

The lower price solution is the Shimano Saint. This should not be confused with other shimano designs, this one is a stunner.

Less than the pro2 and probably stronger. Weighs a ton though.

I have a pro2 front and saint rear at the moment.
    Chris King drive shells are tested to failure at over 800 ft/lbs of torque. I have a couple and their drive mechanism design is really second to none. I have a couple of Industry 9 hubs as well, but from the drive mechanism point of view, CK's ring drive is much nicer.

However, given the budget of the op, I would still look into Hopes.

Op, are you only looking for a rear wheel? If so, perhaps you could splurge and get a CK rear?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant View Post
    " CK is certainly a fantastic product but you are also paying a hefty price of a name."

The CK is more than just a name, the quality is unrivaled. There is no hub out there like it.

You get what you pay for with both.

Hope is a fantastic product, but absolutely no where near the quality or design of CK.
    Right...but a lot of the cost is the name...take a BMW...great cars...take the same car and call it a Hyundai and you will pay $20k less for it. Hope may not be the same quality bu IMO its the best value for the money.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Right...but a lot of the cost is the name...take a BMW...great cars...take the same car and call it a Hyundai and you will pay $20k less for it. Hope may not be the same quality bu IMO its the best value for the money.
    No, the cost of Chris King products is that they do not outsource anything. Their entire product including the bearings are done in house in Portland, OR. It costs a lot more to make your own bearings and small parts than to simply source them out like many other hub manufacturers do (including Hope).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    IMO the design behind the CK ring drive is much more superior than the Hope's pawl setup. Even if you look at the points of engagement, CK has 72 points vs Hope's 32 (??).

Compared CK to Hope is really comparing apples to oranges in this case.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So the lbs "upgraded" my rear hub to the deore....yea some upgrade, 2 rides in and SNAP!... Looks as If im gonna order a custom rear wheel from Chain Reaction with Hope Pro 2 Evo. I am a little confused on what items to select on their site. The Hope Pro 2 Evo Saint? This seems to be the 10mm axle I need. Also any recomendations on the rim to put on? Will I need to order a new quick release and casette. I am pretty mechanically inclined (cars) just a noob to bikes. Thanks for all the great help guys.

local trails rider
    I am not quite sure about Hope's Saint hub. Shimano's Saint hub has an unusual through axle, and I think that is the speciality. I don't know if the Hope Hub comes with that axle or not and the description on CRC does not help at all. You could try asking CRC or Hope.

I know that "Hope Pro 2 Evo Disc Rear" and "Hope Pro 2 Evo Disc Rear 10mm Bolt-Up".will work with normal dropouts. The "regular" one needs a quick release and the "bolt-up" is fixed with bolts that are included.

For rims, my Mavic 721 rims have been troublefree. 321 and 521 are same width and that is wide enough for 2.4" tires. The last two numbers in Mavic rim models is for the internal width.

mtbr member
    I'm 210lbs and have a set of Azonic Outlaws. Mostly I buy mid range wheels and if they're on the lite side, I end up braking spokes at the hub or killing the freehub. The outlaws aren't very expensive, but have run flawless and stayed true since I bought them. Plus, you can have all the axle options covered!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    never mind
    Last edited by steadite; 06-16-2011 at 05:33 AM.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ok I think I got it figured out. Now can I use the quick release and casette from my current wheel? They are fairly new as the bike is only 4 months old.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by rmontgo21 View Post
    Ok I think I got it figured out. Now can I use the quick release and casette from my current wheel? They are fairly new as the bike is only 4 months old.
    You can use the the quick release, but the bolt on option might be attractive to you to firm up the rear triangle. That is something you can do later if you want, but the cassette is something you should think about sooner rather than later. . . . . .

As for the cassette, the stock Hope freehub body is made from aluminum. The cassette that came on your bike dows not have a 'carrier' that holds the larger cogs together as one piece. Your current cassette, will gouge the aluminum freehub body, end eventually it will be very difficult to remove the cassette. My advice would be to get the optional stainless steel freehub body and then you can run whatever cassette you want (some of the cheaper cassettes are very strong, even stronger than the carrier types IME). If you stick with the aluminum freehub body, you should always plan on spending $70+ for a cassette every time you need one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Any reccomendations for an 8 speed casette to go with this setup?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast