mtbr member

New here couple of questions

Well I am picking up a mongoose blackcomb later this evening for $100. I realize this is nothing to brag about compared to some of your guys bikes however I will be riding mostly gravel bike trails and paved tracks so I am pretty sure I will get my moneys worth of this bike. This will be my first REAL mountain bike and Im getting it to mainly get into shape so that I can join the navy. As my body gets in better shape I am interested in getting me a serious machine like a trek or something but that will be later.

I have always enjoyed the outdoors and bikes so I figured I cant really go wrong with a MTB, however I am on budget and this is the best bike I have found for $100.

My question is are the bike computers on ebay that are like 10. or 15.00 worth anything? I mainly just want something to keep up with distance and speed. If they will do this then it will suffice for now.

Also is REI.com a good place to buy equipment?

Thanks,
    -Nathan

mtbr member
    Definitely DON'T buy the Blackcomb. Full suspension and $100 doesn't work. If by your $100 worth you mean constant issues horrible drivetrain performance and possible broken bones that will drive you away from riding then go for it. Even if you're going to buy a department store bike, don't buy full suspension.

You can get a used hardtail or rigid for about that much.

Here's a great used bike recently listed in your area, if it fits you it would be an awesome ride for $150 and it comes with the computer I'd try to jump on this one if I were in your position, good luck.
    http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/bik/1220149309.html

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I hate to say it, but I agree. Us big guys have a tendency to be hard on stuff, and those full suspension bikes for the $100 price point, you'll find yourself breaking spokes, wearing out the suspension VERY quickly, possibly bottoming out everywhere (hurts the wrists), shifters tend to stop functioning... etc.

You'll be MUCH better off finding something with a good name on it used for about the same price.

-Eric

mtbr member
    well the bike is originally like 339.00 I am buying it used for 100.00 from a friend. I am not very interested in HT's at the moment and I don't have alot to spend so thats my dilemma. If money wasnt the problem i'd just get a scott road bike or a trek...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Not sure how much MTB riding you've done before, but HT isn't all that bad.

I used to have a full suspension cheap bike and hated it. As soon as I got on a decent hardtail, wow!

When I bought my Trek 3700, I was dead set on a full suspension bike. When it turned out I'd have to go back to dept store bikes, I went with the hardtail. No regrets from me and I'm 6'4, 280ish lbs. I may try a f/s bike later on, but only when I can spend $1,500+.

All you have to do is stand up, it's better than a rear shock on a cheap bike by a LONG shot!

If you're going to get that and we can't change your mind, you might actually check Wal*Mart for computers. There's a little Schwinn unit that I had on my old bike, and my girlfriend used on hers... Plus a friend of mine has one... And they're like 10 bucks. Never did replace batteries on any of them, and they actually read more consistently than my $40 unit from the bike shop.

-Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcomb666
    well the bike is originally like 339.00 I am buying it used for 100.00 from a friend. I am not very interested in HT's at the moment and I don't have alot to spend so thats my dilemma. If money wasnt the problem i'd just get a scott road bike or a trek...
    If you are riding paved and gravel trails I don't see how full suspension is going to help you. All it is going to do is make it more difficult to ride, especially for a heavier rider, you will experience a lot more flex from those cheap pivots and it will feel like an undampened pogo stick. If you are spending less than $1000 on a mountain bike, you shouldn't be buying full suspension.

I am assuming based on your enthusiasm, vendor and screen name there is no talking you out of it. In that case good luck and hopefully you get what you are looking for out of the bike.

mtbr member
    its not that I am disagreeing theres no question about it that you guys are more experienced than I am on any situation with bikes. I am simply getting this bike because its the best one I have found for what I wanted to spend. I have always owned HT bikes growing up so any suspension to soak up bumps sounds like a plus to me. I got the bike home this evening and road it around the block a few laps and Im sure its going to suffice for my needs for now. Once I achieve my goals and get into the navy I will definately upgrade to some good gear & definately a better bike.