mtbr member
    May 2011

New Here - Bike Question

Hey all,

I am new here, but had a question of some of ya'll. I'm 6'3, 330 lbs or so, and am looking to get a bike. I really like some of the 29ers I have seen. I'm just curious if there are any that will support me?

I see a lot of people on here who have them, but are like 100lbs lighter than I.

If anybody can give some recommendations as well, it would be appreciated.

I am moving to Boulder, CO at the end of this month, and am looking for a bike I can take on trails and get around town in (but not any serious commuting).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    search around here, there are a lot of guys riding 29er's at 300 lb+. I started with a 26er giant yukon and had to upgrade the wheels then I decided to build a 29er. I stuck with a hardtail cause it gets hard to setup a dual suspension for 300+. It can be done but its a good possibility that you'll be riding a pogo stick. I built up a bike custom cause I knew there were certain things that I would break on a stock bike. Mainly wheels but seatpost , crank, stem and fork take a beating. I think any frame will be fine as long as you aren't doing drops or anything. I don't know a lot about stock bikes to recommend but I'm sure there are other threads around here that will give you some pointers. It can definitely be done though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hi cyclone. I too am 6'3" and 330lbs. I ride a Trek Advantage, it is a 26er and I have had no issues with the bike, at all. However, I have only been riding paved trails at the moment.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm not going to be doing anything crazy. Just going on some trails, maybe a little gravel, and doing some paved stuff too. Not doing anything too hardcore or anything.

Basically I love the Giant Talon 29er, however I am just not knowledgable enough to know if it will support my weight. My goal is to lose some weight, but I don't want to spend a large chunk of change and then break it.

mtbr member
    I too am 6'3" 330ish, I bought a SE Stout & absolutely love it so far. The Talon would be a good choice, Giant makes some slick bikes.

If you like it, go for it. And your not some uber beast that a bicycle will crumble under... Just go easy at first. Thats what im doing!

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    I was 320 on my 29er and no problems other than the cheap stock wheels going out of true, I am not 290-295 on the same bike still with no issues though I have gotten better wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    I was 320 on my 29er and no problems other than the cheap stock wheels going out of true, I am not 290-295 on the same bike still with no issues though I have gotten better wheels.

What kind of bike do you have? I like the Giant Talon, but I'm not 100% committed to purchasing it.

mtbr member
    I have a Specialized RockHopper 29er and I am building a Siren John Henry steel frame 29er.
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    I have a Specialized RockHopper 29er and I am building a Siren John Henry steel frame 29er.

That specialized looks pretty sweet. Dang it! Now I just need to find a way to come up with a grand!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If you are on a budget, look at Bikesdirect.com. They have some good hardtail 29ers for under $700.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone1984
    That specialized looks pretty sweet. Dang it! Now I just need to find a way to come up with a grand!
    Not sure what they cost today but I got mine in 09' new for $750.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413
    If you are on a budget, look at Bikesdirect.com. They have some good hardtail 29ers for under $700.
    Not a bad option either. Only two disadvantages is not being able to try before you buy and not having the best support from your LBS if you need to take it in for work. Of course that just makes more reason to learn to wrench.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    As others have said, any decent HT frame will hold you, it will be the wheels that end up giving you issues. That being said, buy what you like, and that fits you well. Giant, Spec, Trek, Kona are all good bikes if you want to buy in store. I would also check out the gravity line from BD if you want to go online...plus I like the slacker head tube angle.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...y/29point3.htm

mtbr member
    May 2011
    All good suggestions. I should also add that I am new to mountain biking as well. I am moving from Iowa to Colorado, and always rode hybrid bikes (which got a damaged frame from a car accident, but I haven't ridden in a few years and have gotten pretty fat compared to where I was). I am looking for something that will hold me up, get me around town, and something that I can take on the trails.

I am fine with getting something entry level, if people think it will work fine for me. Worst thing that can happen to me in my mind is getting a bike for like $800 and realizing that the $1,000 bike is what I should have gone with.... Once I buy one of these, it will be a few years before I can afford another.

mtbr member
    Maybe buy something cheaper & upgrade? Thats what I decided on... Figured I could really get the components I want that way. Without having to drop $1000+ right away.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVaz
    Maybe buy something cheaper & upgrade? Thats what I decided on... Figured I could really get the components I want that way. Without having to drop $1000+ right away.
    What kind of bike would be a good one to start with, that has relativley easy upgradability in the future?

And in general, when you want to upgrade, do you just buy components yourself and have your lbs do the installation? Or are you good with that stuff and do it yourself?

mtbr member
    This might get a little long winded...

After months of searching & looking at bikes around the $1000 price range. I had to really think about what I wanted out of a bike... For me, I wanted something that could take a beating, be fairly simple, & be open to upgrades in the future.
    The bike I landed on was a 2011 Se Stout. I paid $460 shipped to my door from Performancebike.com. I decided on the 2011 over the 2009 from bikesdirect because of the lighter weight (2-1/2lbs) & the color (I like the matte sand over the red). That was worth the $100 extra to me. This bike comes ready for disc brakes & also comes with a derauiller hanger/chain tensioner for gears if you choose. I wasn't able to find one really bad review on it either. For me the SingleSpeed kept the simplicity where I wanted it, SIMPLE!
    I never worked on bikes & this was my first mountain bike. So when I received my package from FedEx it was a learning experience that I wouldn't trade. It gives you a sense of pride being able to work on your own bike. Makes me feel self sufficient. Like im not dependent on "the man"... lol.
    If you like to tinker & have any type of mechanical skill you'll be ok. Working on bikes isn't brain surgery...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVaz
    This might get a little long winded...

After months of searching & looking at bikes around the $1000 price range. I had to really think about what I wanted out of a bike... For me, I wanted something that could take a beating, be fairly simple, & be open to upgrades in the future.
    The bike I landed on was a 2011 Se Stout. I paid $460 shipped to my door from Performancebike.com. I decided on the 2011 over the 2009 from bikesdirect because of the lighter weight (2-1/2lbs) & the color (I like the matte sand over the red). That was worth the $100 extra to me. This bike comes ready for disc brakes & also comes with a derauiller hanger/chain tensioner for gears if you choose. I wasn't able to find one really bad review on it either. For me the SingleSpeed kept the simplicity where I wanted it, SIMPLE!
    I never worked on bikes & this was my first mountain bike. So when I received my package from FedEx it was a learning experience that I wouldn't trade. It gives you a sense of pride being able to work on your own bike. Makes me feel self sufficient. Like im not dependent on "the man"... lol.
    If you like to tinker & have any type of mechanical skill you'll be ok. Working on bikes isn't brain surgery...

I get what you are saying, and respect what you are saying. I guess I am a bit nervous of doing something like this with an expensive bike. I'd be more interested in learning about bikes from buying a used one and trying to fix it up.

I don't really have tools or anything for this, and I feel like if I'm going to spend several hundred, I don't want to have to worry about assembling it...