mtbr member
    May 2014

New Guy looking for some advice

Firstly hello!

I'm new to the sport and after having a great time on hire bikes at Grizedale in the lake District a couple of months back I have now got some spare cash together to buy my own! I'm coming on here to seek advice from people who are hitting the trails regularly and I'm sure all you veterans will have seen hundreds of posts similar to this, however hopefully at the end I'll let you know what I've gone for, how I get on on my first ride and you never know it might help someone else in my position.

A bit about myself

I'm a physically fit 6'5" guy, I weigh around 260lbs though this will be dropping to around 240 over the next couple of months so I guess I need something heavy duty.

How I will be riding/ Performance I'm after

I have a kind of 'Challenge Accepted!' Mentality so err...yeah I kind of want something robust. That said most of the trails I will be doing will be pretty easy stuff so the girlfriend can come along.

Budget and Technical stuff

I have a budget of around 600. I've been doing research online but it is quite overwhelming. I have also been into a couple of big chain shops but neither of the young sales assistants could really answer my questions. I then went to couple of smaller dealers but they only stocked couple of brands and I couldn't test ride at either.

From the research I've done it would appear I'm looking for a Hard tail with a XL frame, air forks if possible and hydraulic brakes. I thought I had wheel size sorted with going for a 29er but one dealer told me that I might be better going for a 27.5 as it will be a tougher wheel for someone my weight.

Bikes I have been looking at:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/revel.29.er/11859/56885/?bike_model_id=56730#overview

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Scott-Aspect-940-Mountain-Bike-2014-Hardtail-Race-MTB_66836.htm

What do you guys reckon to these two? Or can you recommend any others in the 600 range?

The question regarding 29 or 27.5 is a tough one as I suppose its down to personal preference but for a new guy what would be best for a new guy?

Cheers in advance!

Nick

mtbr member
    At that price point check out the Voodoo bikes. They have a bunch of great hardtails in that price range. Voodoo specs the higher end Suntour forks which are a great value for the price.
    Last edited by GOTA; 05-30-2014 at 03:26 AM.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Save up more. You'll get far more bang for your buck closer to a grand. Sorry - you didn't want to hear that, but you want as good a bike as possible for your cash.

Have a look at the forum on singletrackworld as that is UK based where this one is US based. There are a couple of other big guys on there. Don't worry about the wheel size too much - 27.5 or 29 will do you OK.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm going to check out a Voodoo bike tomorrow so I'll see how it feels...apparently they only do them in limited sizes so its whether or not it will work for me!

As far as saving for a better bike I'm all for it...its the girlfriend who isnt! hah! I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm going to jump over to singletrackworld thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    If you have any mechanical skill, you might be better off getting a used bike. I use Craigslist for almost every bike related purchase I make. As we speak I am sitting on 1000 worth of bike that I paid 400 for (converted from dollars).

for 600-800 you should be able to get yourself into a bike with much better componentry. However, because 27.5 is relatively new, you will probably be limited to 26 or 29. If you are willing to go 26 you should be able to get yourself a sweet deal.

If you do buy used on Craigslist, don't be afraid to barter and take your time. Most of the decent bikes I looked at on the UK site were above 1000, but don't let that fool you. My bike was listed for 800 and purchased for 400!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Br80 View Post
    If you have any mechanical skill, you might be better off getting a used bike. I use Craigslist for almost every bike related purchase I make. As we speak I am sitting on 1000 worth of bike that I paid 400 for (converted from dollars).

for 600-800 you should be able to get yourself into a bike with much better componentry. However, because 27.5 is relatively new, you will probably be limited to 26 or 29. If you are willing to go 26 you should be able to get yourself a sweet deal.

If you do buy used on Craigslist, don't be afraid to barter and take your time. Most of the decent bikes I looked at on the UK site were above 1000, but don't let that fool you. My bike was listed for 800 and purchased for 400!
    I do like taking things apart but the last work I did on a bike was putting the chain back on as a kid. There has also been an update with my budget as I need a helmet and some other gear so its at around 500 now. Not sure whether to save more cash or try and find something second hand.

As far as 26 goes I would but up for it but I've been on one before and being a big chap it looked like I was on a child's bike!