Thread: new guy here

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

new guy here

Hey. I started biking again about 3 months a go. Not only have I got in better shape but I have found a new passion. being a big guy 6'2 around 300 now I break stuff. This week I folded my front wheel in half. I ride hard on single tracks and trails in the canyon near Amarillo. With all that said I am looking for a strong wheel set. I dont care about weight as I am strong and won't tell much of a difference. I'm on a 29er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Welcome.
    What was the wheel you bent and how did you do it? It makes things easier if we know you've not bent the best or that you drove over it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    They are Alex DC 4.5 that came on my cannondale stock. I got a bit wild riding on Tuesday coming off a drop and stuck my front wheel in the sand. I'm told it was a pretty impressive wreck.

mtbr member
    I ride MTx33 rims laced to Hope and Chris King hubs. I don't think you could kill this combo if you tried. That's coming from someone riding hard as heavy as 320 pounds (240 now). At 300 pounds...look at something with 32 spokes and make sure it's hand built.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    i have been looking is there an advantage to getting a 36 spoke wheel?

mtbr member
    Yeah, not folding them anymore. Pretty big advantage if you ask me.