mtbr member
    Apr 2011

New Forum Member

Greetings.

Two decades and 60 pounds ago, back in college, I did quite a bit of road biking. I also purchased a '88 Rockhopper Comp for school. After 2 knee surgeries (the most recent about a month ago) I've decided I need to get more cardio and drop some weight. I've been doing Hot Yoga regularly for 2 years but its just not enough cardio to keep me where I need to be. So I dusted off the rock hopper and had a new adjustable quill stem put on because the whole bent over positioning just doesn't work anymore. I also hit the Grand Opening Sale of the Performance Bike in Roseville Ca. and picked up a great deal on some fabulous new technology that did exist the last time I paid attention. I got some of those new fangled clip-less pedals (new to me at least), shoes to go with (that didn't have a bracket 1/2 an inch tall stuck to the bottom) , and a helmet (seems to be required now...do they even have the padded leather bologna skins anymore?).

I put it all together and had a nice 40 minute ride today. I almost died from lack of oxygen, and I had to walk up the big hill, but other than that it felt pretty good.

I'm at 270 now. I've set a goal for myself to get down to 250 at which point I'll reward myself with a new ride. The 29inch fully suspended bikes looks pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Welcome and keep it up...you'll hit your goal in no time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Oh Yeah Baby
    Thats great to start off setting attainable goals. You wont believe how good, and how motivated, you will feel once you knock out that first 20lbs. Make sure to get your diet in line as well.

Best of luck to you.
    Misfit Psycles diSSent

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm shooting for small changes on the diet front as well. I'm pretty much going to zero calorie intake from beverages except my morning espresso which is already pretty lite. This amounts to basically trading out water for sodas, and only very rarely having anything to drink.

On the food front I'm going with modest portion control; whatever it is, dial it back 25% and bias the 75% towards the more healthy things on the plate.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic
    I'm shooting for small changes on the diet front as well. I'm pretty much going to zero calorie intake from beverages except my morning espresso which is already pretty lite. This amounts to basically trading out water for sodas, and only very rarely having anything to drink.

On the food front I'm going with modest portion control; whatever it is, dial it back 25% and bias the 75% towards the more healthy things on the plate.
    That's the way to do it. Diets don't work. Lifestyle changes do.