mtbr member
    Sep 2013

New to forum, 6'7" 220lbs

Greetings,

I'm 6'7" and 220lbs, so borderline clydesdale and full fledged tall rider. I started road riding a few years back and then cross and plan to soon make my way into mountain riding which I hope to get some help with on this forum. I'm also into Ebiking.

My current bikes are a 66cm Norco Montery Road bike, a 62cm Surly Cross Check, and a KHS XL Flite 747. My 962mm inseam has lead me to play around with 200mm cranks.

I've recently begun blogging about my tall biking as well as other tall stuff at TallAdaptations.com.

Looking forward to many interesting discussions to come!
    Cheers,
    Sam
    6'7" 220lb blogging cyclist
    TallAdaptations.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How's that 62cm Cross Check fitting you? I've been toying with the idea of picking one up and we're nearly the same height(6'8").

...and welcome to the forum!
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It's been a great bike for me, a really good choice. With multiple wheel sets, I've been able to use it for many different purposes. Road group riding, gravel roads and trails, commuting and light touring, and even set it up as an ebike.

Proportionally speaking, I've got more torso than legs, my inseam is 962mm (just shy of 38"), so I put 200mm cranks on it, and that has been interesting... The 610mm effective top tube with a 140mm stem gives a comfortable riding position.

Obviously you and I would both be best off with custom, but the cross check does the trick OK for a good price.

I've gone into a bit of detail on it with a couple pics on my relatively new blog talladaptations.com

This forum is awesome, great to find other clydesdale/tall riders! I know it's a mtbr forum, but seems to be the best tall cycling resource on the web, so hope people don't mind me talking about cross and maybe even a bit of road bike stuff (in addition to mtrb of course).
    Thanks for the welcome!

Sam
    TallAdaptations.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If I had any money right now, I'd be looking at the Soma Extra Smoothie for a road bike. They do up to a 66cm frame. My current road frame is a 1987 Cannondale tourer in 72cm!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Holy shnikes, I had no idea cannondale ever made such a thing. You sir must be one tall fellow. Smoothie looks great, maybe you'd like a Big Apple XXXL with some giant cranks.
    TallAdaptations.com