mtbr member
    Mar 2005

New Fork for the Kona Hoss

I have a '05 Kona Hoss Dee-Lux and I'm starting the hunt for a new fork. The stock fork is a Marzocchi Dirt Jam Pro 100mm. I'm looking for an upgrade that will give me a better feel and performance over the stock Marz. What folk would you recommend ? Have any fellow Hoss owners changed out your folk ? What fork did you install ? Thanks for your time.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrider
    I have a '05 Kona Hoss Dee-Lux and I'm starting the hunt for a new fork. The stock fork is a Marzocchi Dirt Jam Pro 100mm. I'm looking for an upgrade that will give me a better feel and performance over the stock Marz. What folk would you recommend ? Have any fellow Hoss owners changed out your folk ? What fork did you install ? Thanks for your time.
    I built mine from the frame up with a Manitou Black Elite 100/120mm and an x-firm spring kit. I think I got the fork for like $190. I've been using it now for a couple of years, and it has been good. It's not fancy at all, just cheap and functional. If I had to do it over again and really wanted some smoother action and more adjustability, then I would go with a RockShox Reba. Some will say the Pike is the way to go, but I think it's overkill, and you would need a front wheel with a 20mm through hub.

Sumo-Clydedale
    Fox 125 RLC Vanilla with Yellow spring. Love the fork....

mtbr member
    Agreed on the fox as that is what I am currently running, however the Hoss-D I had ran very well with a 2004 Marz Z-1 Dropoff 2

long standing member
    I replaced my Dirt Jam with a RS Reba. So far, so good.

If I had the cash, I would've put on a coil Pike and upgraded the front wheel to a 20mm thru-axle. As it stands now I feel like I have to limit how aggressive I ride because I'm not sure how the components are going to hold up. I'm not speaking specifically of the fork, but more about the strength of some of the other parts (wheels, etc.).

On the other hand, the Reba was cheap, is very light (I've got the SL), and works great. Plus, it's way plusher than the Zoke that was on there.

I would suggest considering the type of riding you do and make a decision based on that.

Patrick

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I vote Fox. Don't have a Hoss but recently replaced my fork with a Vanilla RLC and it is great.

Is dang happy!

Cheaper/stronger

The new 318 Tora looks like a sweet upgrade, U-turn + x-firm spring will run about $250.
    And you will not have to build a new front wheel as it is quick release.

The air verson will save some weight and not need a spring upgrade.

Thinking of picking up one for my hardcore girlfriend, she is going too fast for ssv!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by saba
    Agreed on the fox as that is what I am currently running, however the Hoss-D I had ran very well with a 2004 Marz Z-1 Dropoff 2
    I'm running a marz drop off 2for 2 years, and it's been great so far.