mtbr member
    Apr 2011

New Clyde in the Stable

I just purchased my first bike. I rode many bikes as a kid, but this is the first one i've purchased as an adult. I picked up a Trek GF Marlin 29er. My wife picked up a Trek 7.3. She probably won't follow me and my son off road.

I can't wait to ride it. Hopefully tomorrow will be my first ride with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I forgot to add, i got the 21" frame because i'm 6'5 250lbs. Hopefully this bike will help me loose a few pounds.

My wife is exactly opposite of me. Hers is a 13" frame because she is 5'0 and 115 lbs.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    TTIWWP (This thread is worthless without pictures)

Bonus points for a proper 'couch shot'.

mtbr member
    Cheers to another big guy with a litte wife! I can't get my wife to ride bikes but recently got her to work out with kettlebells.

Welcome to the forum, let's see some pics!

Oh Yeah Baby
    So how did the maiden voyage go??

I rode ALOT growing up too, glad to hear you are back at it.
    Misfit Psycles diSSent

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The Maiden Voyage has not happened yet. Unfortunately, i had things to do around the house. Hopefully i'll be able to get out and at least ride around the neighborhood today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Maiden voyage was this morning. I rode about 10 miles with lots of hills. My conditioning SUCKS. I'm not used to sucking wind like this. It can only get better from here.

Any one have any suggestions for seats that are more comfortable? My butt hurt so bad by the time i got done. It was the reason i turned around after 5 miles and rode back.

mtbr member
    If it was your first ride in years...no matter what saddle you have on the bike your arse is going to hurt. Get some padded bike shorts...that will make a HUGE difference. It'll take a week or two for your butt to become "conditioned".
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    +1 on shorts and time.

I'm not a Lycra Shorts kind of guy so I wear baggy bike shorts. Available at any LBS and on line.

mtbr member
    I just wear my bike shorts under baggy shorts...works out great
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Oh Yeah Baby
    After those first few days back on the bike I had to take 3 to 4 days off the bike(or very limited) b/c my butt was so sore. Before long it got to where I could handle riding every other day w/ only minimal soreness. Now I jump on whenever I want. Been about 5-6 weeks overall.

If you are going to check out saddles anyway, WTB makes some very comfortable ones from mild to wild in price.
    Misfit Psycles diSSent

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I picked up some Baggy shorts with a nice chamois (serfas). I adjusted my seat height as well as i tipped it forward one notch.

I went for my second ride tonight. I started off on the paved path on the east side of the Des Moines River. I rode about 6 miles south and crossed the river at a railroad bridge they turned into a bike bridge. On the other side is a nice single track. I figured what the heck, now is as good of a time as any.

I haven't had this much fun in a LONG time. I can't wait to go ride again.

Two questions, where there is a short steep hill to go up, how do you judge what gear to be in? if i start off to low i don't have any momentum. If i start in a higher gear, i die about 3/4 of the way up and it's difficult to pedal. Do you shift half way up under heavy pressure?

Second question, how do you deal with mud? I had a few times where i got in some mud and my back tire would break loose. Do i need to lean back to get more traction?

And now to make the thread official, Pictures.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm no expert by any means, but what works for me is carrying momentum into a short climb(the more the better) and usually stay in my large front ring(38) and the middle of my rear cassette. I tend to mash more than spin on climbs, so I find myself standing up on climbs. Can't help you with mud, I don't think it rains in TX anymore, and I try to stay off the trail when it is muddy to avoid damaging the trails...

jds
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nice Bike, Clyde. I have the same ride, except in the 23" frame. I'm also 6'5", and most of my height's in my torso. After riding both the 21" and 23" frames, I found the extra top tube length in the 23" to be more comfortable, yet still with enough standover.

Personally, I found the stock seat to be really comfortable -- only minor soreness after 12 mile rides, even though I've only been riding it regularly for about 2 weeks.