mtbr member
    Jun 2011

new clyde needs help!

Hello! I am rather new on the forum and I guess I am a Clydesdale, I'm 16 yo, 6'5'' and 245lbs. Spring is coming and i got the fever now! I started really getting into mountain biking with my 09 giant revel 1 xl now I have a giant reign 2 xl. my reign has air suspension front and rear- Manitou spv forks and a Manitou spv 3way shock. I never really got my suspension dialed in good last year it always felt squishy especially the forks, like when i stand up and put weight on the forks then go back normal they wont rebound unless you pullup. what is the solution? How many lbs do you all suggest? I also know nothing about air shock maintenance.
    One more unfortunate occurrence was last year i was bunny hopping over a pot hole in the road well i miss judged how big it was and bent my rim quite badly (still somewhat ride-able but i needed a new new any way cause of the hub) i was looking at halo combat ll rims which seem decent and not a bad price are they Clydesdale proof?
    Thanks for all your help!

turtles make me hot
    You, my friend, are a Clydesdale. You should be on a 29er, based on your height.
    Your fork may need to be rebuilt, or it just may need more air pressure. Are you tight with the shop it came from?
    If you can afford it, maybe find an XXL or XL 29er hardtail frame, a Rockshox Tora fork and some Salsa Gordo or Sunringle MTX33 rims and build a fairly bombproof bike for yourself.
    My stepson is 6'4" and about 230. I'm in the process of building him a Kona Kula 2-9 with a Tora and 36 spoke Gordos. Good, sturdy hardtail.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the reply, But with the riding i do the full suspension is very very nice and I've never had a problem with the rear end not supporting me, its actually just the forks that seem to be the problem. Right now i ride more all-mountain style, but would like to get into downhill, I know ill probably eventually have to get a new bike but until then i would like to ride this one. Also, with the way I'm built my bike fits me great and I'm comfortable on it. I got it used private sale but have a good bike shop close by. I'll try increasing the air pressure

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If there is anywhere close to enough air in the air spring, it shouldn't stay down like that. Try putting enough air in that you get about 25% to 30% sag with you just sitting on the bike. If the fork isn't rebounding without assistance from you pulling up, something is wrong with it.

I had a Reign (stll have it but it just never gets ridden), and my son does too. The first year or so the Reigns had Manitou forks. If it's a "Splice" 130mm fork, those are pretty . . . . basic, and not worth monkeying around with. If it's a Nixon fork, it might be worth it IF you can still get any parts needed.

If you need something to replace it, you may be able to find something for not too much. If it's a 20mm front hub, WW has this for a decent price and available in 160mm travel (acceptable for a Reign):

Marzocchi 2011 55 RV, 160mm - Wheel World Bike Shops - Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Bicycle Parts and Accessories. Parts & Bike Closeouts!

Or, for QR, something like this:

Marzocchi 44 TST 2 26" 140mm | eBay

The 32mm Marz forks work great on a Reign, and will take plenty of abuse.

You should have at least 50psi in the SPV chamber on the (rear) shock, and the fork. More if you want the ride a little firmer. You have to get the pump chuck off quick or the air will escape from that SPV muy pronto. I am heavier than you and never needed over 200psi in the (rear) shock.

My son is 6'4" and around 200lbs and still uses his 2005 Reign for AM ridng, collegiate DH racing and everything else.

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    You, my friend, are a Clydesdale. You should be on a 29er, based on your height.
    screw 29'ers

Hit any real jump on one and you will be impaled by the shrapnel after your wheel is destroyed. Any real jump im talking 1 meter drop/similar impact, at your weight, you land hard that is 2716 lbs of force to both wheels, or 12085 N. If you actually use that reign like it is supposed to be used, DO NOT buy a 29r.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the advice, the bike in that picture is exactly like mine,also which chamber is the spv? one last thing- halo combat rims would they be good for my intended uses?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by While At Rome View Post
    screw 29'ers

Hit any real jump on one and you will be impaled by the shrapnel after your wheel is destroyed. Any real jump im talking 1 meter drop/similar impact, at your weight, you land hard that is 2716 lbs of force to both wheels, or 12085 N. If you actually use that reign like it is supposed to be used, DO NOT buy a 29r.
    Seems like a pretty informed opinion, you even used some numbers to justify your claims. While I agree that a 29er is not what this guy needs, there are plenty of 29er wheel sets that can huck just fine. It is not the wheel diameter that defines what the bike can do, it is the wheel build and rider.

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    Seems like a pretty informed opinion, you even used some numbers to justify your claims. While I agree that a 29er is not what this guy needs, there are plenty of 29er wheel sets that can huck just fine. It is not the wheel diameter that defines what the bike can do, it is the wheel build and rider.
    I was always interested in how much impact it actually was if you hit a drop, kind of cool to know. That is with 7 cm of travel used, which is was i assumed would be used on a 3 foot drop.

DownhillBAWS
    hey man, if i were u and had the money i would buy something like a 2004-2008 specialized big hit xl or xxl. from what i have heard they are pretty much bomb proof

good luck bro

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Stay well clear of the 29er.... they will fold in a big way if you try anything to agressive. Instead you could go for Hope ProII Hubs - 36 hole Front & Rear - Laced to Mavic EX823 Downhill Rims
    These are not as heavy as you would think and they are bullet proof!!!!

As for the shock I would suggest speaking to an expert to fine the right air pressure based on your weight....