mtbr member
    Aug 2012

New Clyde needing opinion

This is my first real post. Been on here a year but spent my time trying to learn instead of asking the same old questions. I am getting ready to pull the pin on a new bike and I've narrowed it down to two bikes. Either the Airborne Seeker which seems to be a great bike for the money especially if I assemble it myself. And the other option is a Scott Scale 940 which I have the option of getting a 2013 close out for a steal from a great local shop I have a connection to.

On paper these bikes are very similar with the Scott having slightly better components (shimano xt/slx) and fork (Fox)but only a 5 yr warranty on the frame vs a lifetime frame warranty on the Airborne frame and still decent components (Recon Gold and SRAM x5 components). I'm still not smart enough or up to speed enough to determine difference in wheel sets and hubs on which bike is better. My question is which bike would be better for a 6'0 240 lbs guy like me. I am going to be riding trail mostly with some occasional racing thrown in. Thanks for all of the help in advance.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    @240, you will be good with either. Also, they are not very close at all in spec. XT/SLX is at least 2 steps above X5 (X9/X7 would be the equivalent to XT/SLX)... the Fox fork will also be several steps above the Recon (I am okay with Recons, but they are not equal to the Fox). You also gain the support of the LBS with the Scott purchase, you are SOL and on your own dealing with Airborne.

To me, the choice is really clear... the frame warranty sounds great on the Airborne, BUT if you are racing and will start racing more, you will be itching for a new bike in 5 years anyway. It is just my opinion, but the Scott Scale 940 is WAY better of a bike and will be a much better racer and bike to grow with.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just want to confirm that the Seeker is fine at 240+lbs. My riding weight is right around 245 lately. My riding style is mostly smooth but really small jumps and ugly technical trails haven't caused any problems - wheels are still true just as they were when it came out of the box.

If you end up with it, the stock tires aren't bad as long as you run them below 35psi.

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    Just want to confirm that the Seeker is fine at 240+lbs. My riding weight is right around 245 lately. My riding style is mostly smooth but really small jumps and ugly technical trails haven't caused any problems - wheels are still true just as they were when it came out of the box.

If you end up with it, the stock tires aren't bad as long as you run them below 35psi.
    Knight hit it spot on. The only thing I would add would be that the biggest thing with wheels is the built is as important as components for strength, for the most part when comparing similar items. With the lbs purchase, they will help you with retention and truing after a couple rides and the wheels have settled in.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

In the rear with the beer
    Component-wise, XT is the way to go. I might worry a bit about why they only offer a 5 year warranty, especially if you plan to abuse the bike a bit (are they not confident enough in their bikes to not offer lifetime?)...but as others mentioned, in 5 years you'll generally be wanting a new rig anyway....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks guys I appreciate the info and opinions. Knight I hadn't really thought about being ready to trade up in that short of a period of time but I can easily see that happening. One of the main reasons that I am leaning toward the Scott is they are a well known brand with a good reputation which should help with resale if I ever decide to upgrade and airborne isn't that well known. Going to make a decision in the next day or two because the Scott is an end of year close out and could be unavailable anytime.

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling View Post
    Component-wise, XT is the way to go. I might worry a bit about why they only offer a 5 year warranty, especially if you plan to abuse the bike a bit (are they not confident enough in their bikes to not offer lifetime?)...but as others mentioned, in 5 years you'll generally be wanting a new rig anyway....
    5 years or less is becoming the industry standard. Some companies will even add to the fine print that "lifetime" means the expected lifetime of the product. This is true outside of the bicycle industry as well.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well ended up going with the Scott, should pick it up sometime next week. Just wanted to say thanks for the help guys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hello joverman,
    I checked out the Scott 940 today at my local shop. How do you like it? Had it on any trails yet? I'm 6'2" at 290lbs and kinda curious as to your thoughts on the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    AfghanDM I really like it so far but I haven't gotten to ride to much so far. Impressions so far keeping in mind this is my first new mountain bike in 20 years or close to it and my first 29er.

First thing is this thing is light. I mean really light. It lists as weighing 25 lbs. the 930 weighs 24 lbs so it isn't much heavier than a carbon bike. And for guys like us 5 lbs ain't much. I carry more than that in my camelback.

This bike is fast. Seriously I thought the reviews on the Scott Scales were a little full of it when they mentioned that this bike feels fast. It is hard to describe but it seems that this bike easily is twice as fast as my old 26 inch bike. I have scared the crap out of myself several times just riding around my old 4 wheeler trails (I live on a farm).

The bike is comfortable but I feel a touch stretched out on it, probably just the difference between my old bike and the new one.

The Fox shock works good but I kind of wish it had a full lockout. Should have done a little more research. I think this is also just going from a full rigid suspension to abide with a front suspension. That gripe is only for climbing, for regular trail riding and riding downhill it is awesome. I set the air pressure to 100-110 psi per the fox website and the thing came alive. Stock pressure was 70 psi. I am still dialing everything in especially the rebound setting.

The brakes are great and feel like if I'm not careful I could go head over heels quite easily. The brake levers have a good feel and it is easy to modulate brake control even when descending entirely too fast.

The shifters and the rest of the Shimano components so far have worked flawlessly. The Scott rideloc that controls the shock settings is awesome. With a push of the thumb you can go from the climb setting to the trail to the descend and back again.

The only issues I have are the blue accents (mine is a 2013 model which is why it was less than $1500) and the fact that it you read the fine print the frame is only guaranteed for someone weighing 220lbs I think.

Overall I would buy it again in a heart beat. I rode a buddies pivot hardtail carbon bike the other day and he and I were both shocked. His was lighter than mine but barely noticeable. My bike has better components and the same shock for much less money. In my opinion especially with the deal I got it is one of the best hard tails you can buy today.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the information... I will try and confirm the frame guarantee as I am far from 220. I'm of this week and will be traveling to different bike shops in the area. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by joverman View Post
    First thing is this thing is light. I mean really light. It lists as weighing 25 lbs. the 930 weighs 24 lbs so it isn't much heavier than a carbon bike. And for guys like us 5 lbs ain't much. I carry more than that in my camelback.

This bike is fast. Seriously I thought the reviews on the Scott Scales were a little full of it when they mentioned that this bike feels fast. It is hard to describe but it seems that this bike easily is twice as fast as my old 26 inch bike. I have scared the crap out of myself several times just riding around my old 4 wheeler trails (I live on a farm).

The bike is comfortable but I feel a touch stretched out on it, probably just the difference between my old bike and the new one.
    Congrats on the bike purchase! I think you would have been fine with either purchase.

Just be careful not to fool yourself on weight and bikes feeling fast-- what's happening between your ears is far more significant than what's happening because of a few pounds on the bike.

With the same effort (as gauged by heart rate and overall calories burned), I can ride the 15mile, 900ft of climbing ride to work on two different bikes with very, very, small differences in end result.

My CAAD10 bike with 25mm racing tires weighs in at a real riding weight (minus filled bottle(s)) of 20lb.

My 10-year old crapola Giant hybrid bike with 42mm gravel tires weighs in at 32lb-- it's approximately 3min slower than the CAAD10 in a 50min ride.

bikecalculator.com is fun to play with... Even going up a 5% grade on the road, dropping a full 10lb off the bike or rider combo will speed you up by 0.3 mph or less. On the flat, that difference is 0.07 mph due to the 10lb.

Anyhow, enjoy your ride! I especially like that you got something that is very flexible in terms of tires. You could ride a road century on that bike or have tons of fun on paths/trails. Great buy!