mtbr member
    Jul 2013

New Clyde needing help!

First off im new on here but not new to bikes. It has been a number of years since I have rode though. I recently picked up a Specialized Hardrock 19 inch bike from a friend. Its a 2001 model and it has very little miles on it and his LBS gave it a good tune up before selling it to me. First let me give you some background. I am 43, 6 foot 2 and have not ridden a bike of any kind since 2005. I have always enjoyed riding and as a kid worked in a local LBS. I don't know much about derailleurs, my main focus has always been on single speed bikes. I did however have a nice Trek mtb for a couple years. It was sold in 2005. In 2005 I was hit head on (in my car) by a woman on a cell phone that ran a redlight and was doing 55 in a 30. She was in a Navigator I was in a small Nissan sports car about the size of a Miata. I was messed up pretty bad to say the least, and they told me I would never walk again. Well I do walk just fine through lots of will and PT. So I am just at the point where I feel like I want to ride again. I have gained a few pounds since the accident. I am 310-315 pounds at the moment. I get around fine but I want to get back into biking. Fast forward to now. I bought this bike and I took a 3 mile ride on it today. I hate the bars. They look like stockers and are straight as a broom handle and short at 21.5 inches. I have got the parts yesterday to fix that issue. I purchased Ritchey bars and stem. The stem has the same rise as the stocker about 17 degrees. The bars have a 40mm rise, 5 degree sweep and 27 inches wide. Much better for a wide shouldered fellow like myself. Now the bike has a new seat. Its a normal size seat, meaning it does not have the wide arse seating area. My problem is (sorry for getting personal) the horn of the seat digs into my taint area badly. The nose look like it almost dips in the front not raises. I also feel like im sitting forward on the seat like im not on the back portion like I should be. That's what ended the ride when it felt like the boys were getting a bit numb. I called around to ask some LBS around me to fit the bike for me and they refused even with payment since I did not buy the bike from them. I think I can remember how to fit the bike I guess. As I stated its a 19 inch frame. I am weird six foot two im more torso then leg. My inseam is about 30-31 inches and the rest is body. I have the width of my hand between me and the top bar. I get decent extension on the pedals from my legs. My leg slightly bends at the knee when im at the bottom of my pedal rotation. Anything I need to do? Could it be this crappy gel seat on the bike? Im going to adjust the nose up a touch and move it a hair forward to see if it helps when I put the bars and stem on. Anything else you guys/gals can suggest is much appreciated. The primary use for the bike will be pavement until I get some endurance built up. I am also thinking about going to a smooth tire too. This bike might not ever see dirt. If I really get back into this ill buy a dirt specific bike. I just want the exercise and fun of riding (without pain) for now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Pick up some padded biking shorts and definitely play around with saddle setup until you can find a comfortable position. If i'm setting up my bike with a new saddle, i'll hit the parking lot with an allen key in my pocket and ride around for a spell, then fine tune the saddle position until i'm satisfied.
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yea I knew better then to get on and ride it cold without any testing. Serves me right I guess..lol

mtbr member
    Padded shorts for sure. Also, did you get fitted for the seat? That's makes a huge difference. Otherwise, just play with it until you find something that works. There's probably some videos on fitting yourself to a bike. I need to do that myself, especially on my road bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Get a spirit level and put the saddle dead horizontal. That is the normal starting point and TBH it should be left like that for most riders. As for fitting the bike, you want your leg nearly fully extended with your heel on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke. As for fore and aft, a plumb line from the side of your knee cap should go through the axle of the pedal when the cranks are horizontal - another starting point to then play around from. If the saddle still gives you a hard time, I'd suggest going to a Specialized stockist and getting measured for one of their saddles. They can be quit reasonable and measuring your sit bones seems to work.
    Gears? They just take practice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Padded shorts for sure. Also, did you get fitted for the seat? That's makes a huge difference. Otherwise, just play with it until you find something that works. There's probably some videos on fitting yourself to a bike. I need to do that myself, especially on my road bike.
    No, I never was fitted for the seat. Right now shes stock as a rock. No pun intended. Its one of those gel seat deals. Ive never ridden with one of those ive always had the harder stuff. Its been to warm here for my wimpy butt to ride so it will have to cool down here. Its been 90+ with at least 85 percent humidity in the st Louis area.