mtbr member
    Jun 2009

New Clyde Here---Need some help getting started

Greeetings all!!

Recently I've decided to get back into cycling. When I was in my twenties I biked alot, but I was much thinner then. Now at nearly 40, I'm 340lbs 6'1" and am looking to spend about $1000 on a new bike so I can take off some ballast. I need to get some ideas from experieced clydes on some bikes and options. I'm looking to do mainly road and maybe some trail riding. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Kona Hoss is a pretty good guess and is right at your price point but if you are wanting to do a lot of road stuff and an occasional bike trail, maybe a rigid 29er.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    mc flight 29er, maybe? i just love sliders. i don't own one yet, but i read good things.

Outback Trail Commission
    Purchased a Kona Hoss Deluxe in 07'. Love it!!! I was 6'2" 295 lbs. I have really short legs 30 in. inseam so I got a size 18./ The top tube on the Kona's seem to run longer than other bike makers, so it works for me. Definately take one for a spin prior to your purchase.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

I appreciate the input!!!

I've narrowed it down to the GF Cobia or the Kona Hoss. I test rode the GF yesterday, but I have to get to a dealer to try the Hoss!! I look forward to getting a bike and hitting the road!! I'm trying to stay unbiased until I try both rides, but the Cobia is real nice, especially also since it's a 29er. I'll fill everyone in on what I've decided when it happens.