mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Pretty much any major brand bike will be ok. The wheels on most bikes <$1000 are not going to be the best. Good wheels cost money and that is one way bike companies cut costs is by using cheaper machine built wheels. But at 255...you are not that heavy and depending on what kind of riding you plan to do...factory wheels may be just fine. I rode the factory wheels on my RockHopper 29er at 320 pounds for a summer and other than going out of true, they held up just fine.
    I am interested in the OP's question as well, nubster what do you know about some of the wheels that are offered on the sub 1000 dollar bikes?

@charlie - I was reading alot about Kona bikes being good for bigger guys on similar forums and threads but can't tell if thats fanclub talk or not. I havent heard much more about the components that come on the sub 1000 bikes - I myself am looking at the Kona Mauhana and the fisher Mamba because I am not looking to do hardcore trail riding yet - but I can't find much on their wheels when used by large guys like ourselves; did you have a bike you were looking at or a price range? What kind of riding did you plan on doing?

myself I am 6'6" 295

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

New Clyde bike question

I have recently decided to get a bike after going on a couple of rides with friends. I noticed in a few posts that some have talked about wheels not being strong enough etc. I am looking at getting a 29er hard-tail or a full suspension bike. Is there a line or a certain bike that is good for a bigger guy? I am 6'1" and weigh 255. I am not wanting to break the bank but would like to get something that will last me a while.

mtbr member
    Pretty much any major brand bike will be ok. The wheels on most bikes <$1000 are not going to be the best. Good wheels cost money and that is one way bike companies cut costs is by using cheaper machine built wheels. But at 255...you are not that heavy and depending on what kind of riding you plan to do...factory wheels may be just fine. I rode the factory wheels on my RockHopper 29er at 320 pounds for a summer and other than going out of true, they held up just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Trails

I am planning on riding a lot of trails here in Arkansas.

I am considering a full suspension or 29er hard-tail. I don't have a particular brand that I have looked at, but have a budget of 1500-2k. I would consider a used bike, but would rather not get one that has been used a ton.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurchalicious View Post
    I am interested in the OP's question as well, nubster what do you know about some of the wheels that are offered on the sub 1000 dollar bikes?
    Well...as you would expect, they use cheaper components which usually mean heavier, which in our case isn't really a bad thing. But...on factory wheels they usually use a lower spoke count...32 on the rear and 32 or 28 on the front and straight spokes. Ideally, at our weight, we want 36 spoke rear and 32 or 36 front and double butted spokes. Hand built is also very much preferred where factory bikes will have machine built wheels. In addition, the rear hubs on factory wheels sets generally are not made to handle the weight and power us clydes generate. That said...I have not had a problem which the stock hub on my factory wheelset and really the only issues I have had is the wheel being out of true. I have a set on my bike now built by MikeSee and no matter how much I beat the crap out of those wheels...they are still straight as an arrow. It's nice to ride on wheels that you don't have to worry about even though the price might be a bit hard to swallow at first.
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    I haven't looked at all the major brands...but I did notice that Specialized is using 36h rears on their RockHopper 29er which is nice.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chilloutcharlie View Post
    I am planning on riding a lot of trails here in Arkansas.

I am considering a full suspension or 29er hard-tail. I don't have a particular brand that I have looked at, but have a budget of 1500-2k. I would consider a used bike, but would rather not get one that has been used a ton.
    With that budget i suggest that you go buy a good entry-level bike like the rockhopper 29er then throw the remaining bucks for a good set of wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    any other big boys selling their ride??

jb

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm a little lighter than you (~188-190 lbs down from ~230) and have been looking at FS bikes. I'd take a look at the Giant Anthem x2 - $2K if you want something lighter and "racey" or the Trance x3 if want something for really rough terrain (5" of travel, but heavier). I've also been looking at the Specialized Camber Elite which is a 5" suspension travel bike as well.

I've never really been a fan of Giant's in the past, but they've stepped up their game and have serious bank for your buck! However, the Camber is just dead sexy looking..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Is a 19" frame to small? I know that it is taste, but I don't feel like I have ridden enough to have any taste.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I haven't looked at all the major brands...but I did notice that Specialized is using 36h rears on their RockHopper 29er which is nice.
    A friend of my sons that can't weigh over 150lbs taco'd his 36h Specialized 26" front wheel on a pot hole in the street. 36h doesn't mean much if the build quality is not there. Whatever wheelset the OP gets, it would be a good idea to have a competent 'wheel person' give a once over to make sure the build quality is up to the task.

mtbr member
    I outweigh the OP. Got two good years out of my stock Giant Yukon 26" sold it and upgraded to a Giant Talon 29er 1 this past January (also stock). It has also held up just fine. I don't do crazy stuff or 5' drops though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    A friend of my sons that can't weigh over 150lbs taco'd his 36h Specialized 26" front wheel on a pot hole in the street. 36h doesn't mean much if the build quality is not there. Whatever wheelset the OP gets, it would be a good idea to have a competent 'wheel person' give a once over to make sure the build quality is up to the task.
    Or at least that's what he told his dad!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    That's true but a 36h wheel stock is a lot better than the "standard" 32h on most bikes. But yeah...that is good advice...get the wheels checked out first and you should be good to go for a while.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Is a 19" frame to small? I know that it is taste, but I don't feel like I have ridden enough to have any taste.
    I echo this sentiment. Been looking for a MTB after not riding for, oh ... 15 years! I don't have the feel for what a bike feels like anymore, but everyone says "ya gotta ride 'em to decide what's best".

Any advice on attacking this problem?

local trails rider
    Many bike brands have height-based guesstimates on what size is right.

The essential thing is to have a suitable amount of room between seat and bar, so that you are not either hitting the bar with your knees or reaching awkwardly to put your hands on the grips...

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    I have recently decided to get a bike after going on a couple of rides with friends. I noticed in a few posts that some have talked about wheels not being strong enough etc. I am looking at getting a 29er hard-tail or a full suspension bike. Is there a line or a certain bike that is good for a bigger guy? I am 6'1" and weigh 255. I am not wanting to break the bank but would like to get something that will last me a while.
    For a great set of clyde friendly wheels contact Matt at Matt Larson wheels.
    http://www.mlwheels.com/