Thread: New Clyde!

Fat and Slow
    Aug 2009

New Clyde!

new to the forum. havent rode a bike in about 20 years.

i am 32 (33 in october) and i am 6' 1" and weigh in right at 300. going to look at bikes this coming weekend.

the two i am most interested in are the Specialized Hardrock Disc and the Trek 4300. Both are about the same in price - a little less the $500. however, having not sat on any bike in over 20 years, i am open to trying any bike.

looking forward to losing to pounds and hitting some trails!

mtbr member
    welcome! you'll be pleasantly surprised with how bikes have evolved in the past 20 years. of course the basics are the same, but you can get a pretty decent bike in your price range. yes it will be entry level, but it should be good enough for getting back into the sport. what kind of riding are you expecting to do? paved paths, crushed limestone prairie paths, singletrack with roots/rocks, etc?

the trek 4300 disc is listed for $599- if you can get it for under $500, that's a pretty good deal. also, look for 2009 models when 2010s are out in full force- you should be able to get more of a discount.

at your weight, be sure you are getting a solid bike. as your lbs their opinions, too. of course, they may try to push whatever they have in excess, but feel them out to see if they're out for your best interest. the front shock in the price range you're looking at are very very entry level- if you are doing decent trail riding, you may notice it not working very well- for you to get a good fork, you should look at bikes with rock shox tora air; however, you're then spending a few hundred more over your budget.

i like your idea of trying any bike. try any and every bike at multiple shops- especially since many don't carry the same brands. set your budget (a realistic one) and see what the lbs has to offer. don't be shy to try a bike that's listed for $600 and ask the best price they can give you. the worst they can say is this prices are firm. also, see what perks a lbs can give you- free tune ups, accessories, etc. i don't think you can go wrong with the big name bikes from lbs- just stay about from the el cheapo big box brands.

enjoy and keep asking questions here to be sure you're making the best decision possible.
    ez
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

Fat and Slow
    Aug 2009
    thanks for your help!

i plan on spending quite a bit of time there and i dont plan on rushing into a purchase. if i find the "right" one, i will get it. if not, i will keep looking.
    09 Hardrock Sport Disc.

mtbr member
    If your budget allows, check out some 29ers too. I started on a Raleigh 26" bike that I bought a few years ago but never actually road it on trail until this summer. In a short time I pretty much destroyed it (not because it was a 26er, just because it was a lower end bike component wise). I bought the bike without doing research and after learning a bit about mtb's I learned that my bike had crap components and it showed. I finally decided to buy a new bike a couple months ago and got a great deal on a Rockhopper 29er and I could not believe the difference, at least on the stuff that I ride. Being about the same size as you, I am 6'2" and 300 pounds, the larger bike just fit so much better and the ride is day and night.

Now don't take that as bashing the 26" wheel bikes. They definitely still have their place on the trails and will not be replaced by the 29er's. Just for me personally my riding style, terrain, and body build, the 29er is just right. Of course YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MallardMauler
    new to the forum. havent rode a bike in about 20 years.
    i am 32 (33 in october) and i am 6' 1" and weigh in right at 300. going to look at bikes this coming weekend.
    Hey, you're me!

Well actually not quite, but close I'm 32 also (33 in December), and I'm 6'1". I weighed 325 pounds a couple years ago, which is when I started biking again. I also hadn't ridden in many years. Now I'm at 255 pounds, and still dropping.

I initially bought a 2006 Kona Hoss (20" frame) for $600 back in November 2005. Best purchase ever. I loved that bike, it lasted through everything like a champion. I ended up selling it a couple weeks ago on eBay for $535. Pretty good resale value!

Now I have a 2008 Kona Hoss, which I built from scratch using just a bare frame (22" this time) and brand new 2009 components that I've been drooling over for years. I have about $2000 into it so far, with a couple hundred more coming. It is, by far, the best bike I've ever ridden... but then I'm biased

Unfortunately, Kona seems to have axed the Hoss model from their 2010 lineup I'm pretty upset over it. But that means that any left-over Hoss bikes in stores should have an awesome price tag on them! The last Hoss retailed for about $1099, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some for sale at $700 or less in the coming month or two.

In any case, I agree with Eric Z that you should wait until the 2010 models are in stores, and then you can get a much better deal on any 2009 model you want.

Fat and Slow
    Aug 2009
    thanks for the replies!

i am pretty much open to trying any and all bikes the shop has. i have thought about the 29er and if i find one close to my price, i may jump on it.

i may be in luck with finding some good deals on 09's. i called 2 of my lbs's yesterday and both are having closeouts on 09 models.
    09 Hardrock Sport Disc.

mtbr member
    The lowest priced 29er I have seen (new) is the Specialized Hardrock which should come in at around $600ish. I have the next model up which is the Rockhopper Comp. 29er and I paid $780 but I got a really good deal at my LBS. Of course that was before end of year discounts so you might find a comparable deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have an 09' 4300 Disc and I love it, only a few days old though

I'm 6' and 250 lbs and it suits me well, the forks arent the greatest but at full preload I dont think i've bottomed them out yet
    09' Trek 4300 Disc Matte Black

Fat and Slow
    Aug 2009
    sat on the hardrock sport disc to day as well as the p.1 all mountain disc. pretty much the same money. hard to decide. i will be looking at some more bike this weekend.
    09 Hardrock Sport Disc.