mtbr member
    Mar 2009

new bike for tall rider

I curently have a 2007 Haro V1 and keep bottoming out the forks. I am 6'4" and 220 lbs. I thought about upgrading the fork, but have really been getting into biking intermediate/advanced level trails now. I am looking for a hardtail, and do not really do many drops, nothing more than a foot or two.
    I would rather get a new, better bike, rather than throw money into a bike that I paid $300 for. I was hoping that I can just upgrade my springs, however, at my LBS, they could not find any way to upgrade the springs for my RSTforks 191 T7. I might be OK finding a used or new fork for around $100 or so, but no more.
    Anyhow, my second option is to sell my bike, hopefully for about what I have paid for it, and use that towards a bike around $1000 or so.
    So far I am eyeballing several Gary Fisher bikes, both 26" and 29" bikes. I have read the benefits of 29" for clearing obstacles, but am unsure of the climbing penalty with the 29er.
    Can anyone give me some advice on decent bikes, about $1,000 for someone my size? My current Haro is a 22" frame, and fits nicely.
    Thank you

turtles make me hot
    Rockhopper 29er.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I will research this, as I have seen several posts on this bike. In the mean time, any other comparable bikes in that price range? Any Gary Fisher or Trek, or are those a little higher priced? I am not looking to race, just have fun, but over some pretty rugged terrain, and single tracks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    +1 on the Rockhopper 29er.
    I switched this year from a 26" tire and XL frame to the Rockhopper 29er in the 23" frame and I am loving it. I'm 6'6" and 215lbs and finally feel like I fit on the bike. Since I switched to clipless pedals at the same time, climbing has improved, so I'm not sure how much of a penalty you take on climbing. In the end the other good things would probably make up for any slightly slower climbing. I would look around, and if you can find a 2008 Rockhopper, you will get a better front fork and usually a cheaper price. The Tora on the 2008 has the Solo Air adjustment and has never come close to bottoming out. The Dart 3 on the 2009 doesn't have the air adjustment, but has a stiffer spring.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilsCabanaBoy
    +1 on the Rockhopper 29er.
    I switched this year from a 26" tire and XL frame to the Rockhopper 29er in the 23" frame and I am loving it. I'm 6'6" and 215lbs and finally feel like I fit on the bike. Since I switched to clipless pedals at the same time, climbing has improved, so I'm not sure how much of a penalty you take on climbing. In the end the other good things would probably make up for any slightly slower climbing. I would look around, and if you can find a 2008 Rockhopper, you will get a better front fork and usually a cheaper price. The Tora on the 2008 has the Solo Air adjustment and has never come close to bottoming out. The Dart 3 on the 2009 doesn't have the air adjustment, but has a stiffer spring.
    +2 on the rockhopper 29er.

I'm 6'6" 280lbs and for me, it is a night and day difference between riding a 29er and a 26er. the fit is MUCH better and I feel much more stable and comfortable on the bike. Now if I can just get some knee issues worked out I'll be set.
    Mark Jones

2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 29

turtles make me hot
    Gary Fisher was on my shopping list when I was buying a bike. I shied away from them because the frames look a little fragile. I've seen posts on here about guys breaking their frames. I'm 6'4", 250 pounds on an FS Stumpy 29er. Haven't hurt it in ten months.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    OK, I will keep that in mind. at 6'4", are you riding a 21" or 23" frame NYrr496?

turtles make me hot
    XL, which I believe is 23.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I called my LBS Specialized dealer, and it seems the 21" frame will be the way to go. Being 6'4", I am on a 22" frame on my 26" current bike, fits me well.