mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New Bike Recommendations

Hi, I cracked the frame on my first bike which was a cheapy Diamondback Recoil when I got into the sport last year and now I'm looking to get a real quality made bike. My budget would be under $2500 and would like an FS bike. I'm 6' 1" 250 lbs. I most ride XC, no crazy jumping or DH stuff. I was checking out the Giant Reign 2 and Trek Fuel EX 8 for now. Both seem solid. My only concern would be the strength of the bikes and trouble free warranty. To spend a good chunk of money, I would like to have it worry free(especially cracked frames) and ride it for years to come. Any other bikes I should be looking at that will handle my weight with ease? Thanks.
    Last edited by DBackRider08; 04-05-2011 at 08:37 PM.

mtbr member
    I am 6'1" and 260. I just got a Specialized Endure Comp for $2500. It is more af an AM bike, but is a little beefier then a XC bike. Specialized warrentee is very good also! just my opinion. Good Luck!
    Vassago VerHauen
    Ibis Ripley.

Underskilled
    Due to your size go for am AM bike, with a pedal friendly design.

You will be MUCH more powerful that a 150lb guy, so a few extra pound frame weight will not slow you down, and you have the advantages of a stiffer frame.

If they still have good closeout deals you might be able to stretch to a RIP9 or WFO, you would have to play pennies carefully, but worth the investment.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The Enduro Comp looks like it might be a contender but might be out of my price bracket. LBS has it listed for $2900 but the bike looks very solid. I dunno much about haggling with LBS but I'm a bit skeptical if I could talk em down to $2500. As for the Niner bikes, none of the LBS around my area carry em. So that's out. I was also thinking about going towards an AM bike but I think it might be a little overkill for the trails around my area although I wouldn't mind the extra travel. Trek's website states all their MTBs have a rider weight limit of 300lbs. But, I have been seeing that there are some considerable amounts of warranty frame replacements on Treks. Are these people just riding extremely crazy and breaking stuff or are the Fuel EX's prone to cracked frames? Anyone know? I'm still looking at the Giant Reign 2 and Trek Fuel EX 8 as my top two choices. I've checking out the Specialized Pitch Pro. Anyone have any experience with those?

mtbr member
    The Enduro is definatly a AM bike. You should see if you can talk your LBS down. The I got had a price tag of $2699 and I got it for $2500 plus tax. It is definatly a sturdy bike. I thought I was going to have problems with the rear shock, but it is holding my weight like a champ. I am a semi agressive ride and the bike is giving me a lot of confidence. The other. Ike I was seriously looking at was the Kona Operator FR. Good luck!
    Vassago VerHauen
    Ibis Ripley.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yea it seems like I will like the bike in person but I found a Giant Reign 2 for $2k and might even be able to talk down a bit more on pricing. The Trek Fuel would be in between the Enduro and the Reign as far as pricing goes. Man, this is going to be a tough decision.

Underskilled
    Do not be tied down to the class descriptions. That is the reccomendation for use of bike for a normal weight rider.

An AM bike is stronger, stiffer and heavier than an XC bike.

To compensate for your weight, you want a bike to be stronger, stiffer and who cares about the weight when you have muscles that come with a clyde status.

If you get an XC bike, it will be flexy, and may even break.

The bike I ride weighs 45lb yet I am very quick on it. Proportionally to my weight it is lighter than my wifes bike.

You weigh 50% more than what a normal bike is designed for, so you need to get somethign 50% stronger to be equal.

Try an negotiate on the spec, they may do a deal.

The simple line of, I have a budget of $2500 and want X, do you make enough money on that to make it worth your while. simple salesman line, but has saved me tons in the past.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks CaveGiant. Your giving me alot of insight to my decision. So I guess the Trek is prob out of the picture but how about the Reign 2 or a Specialized Pitch Pro?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by DBackRider08
    Thanks CaveGiant. Your giving me alot of insight to my decision. So I guess the Trek is prob out of the picture but how about the Reign 2 or a Specialized Pitch Pro?
    The Trek Remedy 7 would be worth looking at, but not the EX. The Pitch line is sort of the poor man's (relatively speaking) Enduro and should be plenty durable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    yea, looking at the Remedy 7. Most likely its down to Remedy 7, Enduro Comp or Giant Reign 2(just cause of the price).