mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New bike or new components

I am currently running a Raleigh Mojave 4.0 which I do like, but I think I would like to get into a 29er. I am 6'2" and 340lbs, so I am looking for something stout.

I was debating on buying a new fork for my current bike, but I was also considering just ditching it and getting a new (or new to me) 29er. I do not want to spend an arm and a leg, so I do not know if I will get much more then what I have. I would say I need to try to stay under 1k for a new bike.

Any suggestions? New fork for my current bike, or would a 29er be a big upgrade?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

bike

Quote Originally Posted by gihzmo View Post
    I am currently running a Raleigh Mojave 4.0 which I do like, but I think I would like to get into a 29er. I am 6'2" and 340lbs, so I am looking for something stout.

I was debating on buying a new fork for my current bike, but I was also considering just ditching it and getting a new (or new to me) 29er. I do not want to spend an arm and a leg, so I do not know if I will get much more then what I have. I would say I need to try to stay under 1k for a new bike.

Any suggestions? New fork for my current bike, or would a 29er be a big upgrade?
    Wow man, you are a tall order.

I picked up a xc xl 29er hardtail aluminum frame. This is what i use.

X fusion slide 29 tapered and 15 mm thru axle.

Wheels are sram x9 hubs, dtswiss spokes and mavic fr/dh aluminum rims.
    Both 15m thru axle.

I only did this to set and forget. It turned out better than i expected. The rest of the componentry is sram x4 with sealed pulleys.

Im light enough to use a cf seatpost. I have to say im glad i went this route. I use 45 mm schwalbe marathons mostly.

Fork 400
    Wheelset 400
    groupset: rear d, shifters, crank for 100 bucks. I did opt for isis spline bb axle coupled with enduro ceramic bearing bb kit.

Weirdest part was replacing the pulleys for sealed bearing pullys. I guess my new old ones sucked, what a difference that made. Bluskycycle selling for 9 bucks a set 90% off. Normaly 80 bucks.

And now, im going for a ride. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Get a second hand bike. The Raleigh is extremely basic and you have probably out grown it. When looking at the pre-loved 29ers look for Shimano SLX or XT at the $1000 mark also Sram X7 or X9 are great. Look for a bike that has an air fork like the Recon Gold or Reba or any air Fox fork. you might also be able to get a bike with tubeless compatible rims.

If you go to look at any secondhand bike and you see on it Suntour or Acera or Alivio or Tektro then the bike is no better than the Raleigh it's trying to replace.

Super Clyde
    If you can swing a little bit more, check out the Airborne Goblin. I don't have any experience with it, but Airborne bikes have been well reviewed. There is an Airborne Forum in the Manufacturer Forums. At least check them out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I upgraded from a 2007 Raleigh Mojave 5.0. to a 29er in Feb. I still have the Mojave 5.0 and upgraded all components to SRAM x5. It is like night and day compared to the old stock components and I still ride it a couple times a month.

For me the 29er would be the way to go especially if you can pickup a good used one to get more bike for your money.