mtbr member
    Nov 2005

... and if we just ... New Bike: Ibex Apogee LX

I've posted here a few times in search of a new new FS bike and my search has ended. I had looked a bit at the Ibex Apogee in the past and then found it on clearance for $999. This seems to be an awsome deal considering the parts on it would normally be on about a $1500 bike. The quality on it looks to be top notch, though I haven't been able to ride it much yet (its very much winter in North Daktoa where I'm at). I believe I got the last 20" frame they sold . The Reba SL/ Ario Lockout setup on it seems to have plenty of setting range for a guy my size (270lbs and 6' 3"). I initially put the rear at 200psi (250 max) and it felt like a rock with me on it so its good to know I'm not maxing that out. The only part different than stock on it is my set of Rhyonlite wheels with WTB velociraptors on them. They also have XT hubs which should be much better than the included Deore hubs.

God Bless,
    Chris

Freshly Fujified

Wooohooooo!

Congrats! That's an excellent bike for the money. Ride it in good health, and give us a ride report once you've finally had a chance to push it's limits.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Low speed, High Drag
    I looked at those, before I bought my Prophet. Definitely give us a review, once you get to ride it. I'm sure a lot of people will be interested to see how those bikes hold up under us "bigger' riders.

Clean that couch, too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhogaz
    I looked at those, before I bought my Prophet. Definitely give us a review, once you get to ride it. I'm sure a lot of people will be interested to see how those bikes hold up under us "bigger' riders.

Clean that couch, too.

I posted on the IBEX forum a while back before buying and at least found a few other big guys that rode IBEX. The frame looks solid enough and the components should be clyde worthy for the most part. I took it out for a rather flat ride yesterday and it rode nice, though I didn't have much to test the suspension other than bumpy dirt roads. I'll report back once I can do some better riding on it though.

BTW, the couch is just old and worn out leather. I can't complain though since it was free and I'm still in college.

Low speed, High Drag
    Just giving you a hard time about the couch. Now that I look at mine, it's not much better.

Baba Booey!

burstin' bubbles

Sorry man, but I bought an IBEX appogee (the XT version) about a year and a half ago, thinking the same thing you did: great components for cheap, good deal, right. Well I hate to say it, but wrong! Within 6 months I tweeked the rear triangle out of wack, and beyond the point of repair. I cut my losses and moved the components over to a used K2 razorback frame which I practically got for free. It works, does the trick, and is very fast, however I am more of a all mountain kind of guy, and at 230 lbs full loaded, I need a beefy bike. I now have a Heckler frame on order and will be transfering my components once again to that monster. Hopefullly that will be the definitive rig for me, and sorry for the downer on your IBEX, but I just wanted to let you know what to expect and look out for... Basically, worst case senario is that you've got some great components that you can transfer to a better frame somewhere down the road... Good luck!

Freshly Fujified

Oy Vey!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfist23
    Sorry man, but I bought an IBEX appogee (the XT version) about a year and a half ago, thinking the same thing you did: great components for cheap, good deal, right. Well I hate to say it, but wrong! Within 6 months I tweeked the rear triangle out of wack, and beyond the point of repair. I cut my losses and moved the components over to a used K2 razorback frame which I practically got for free. It works, does the trick, and is very fast, however I am more of a all mountain kind of guy, and at 230 lbs full loaded, I need a beefy bike. I now have a Heckler frame on order and will be transfering my components once again to that monster. Hopefullly that will be the definitive rig for me, and sorry for the downer on your IBEX, but I just wanted to let you know what to expect and look out for... Basically, worst case senario is that you've got some great components that you can transfer to a better frame somewhere down the road... Good luck!
    Thrashed it pretty good, eh? Good insights on this bike from the clyde/aggressive riding perspective. I just realized now that the OP goes 270 lbs. Let's hope his story has a happier ending. Thanks for the reality check. I'll have to store this one away for future reference.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfist23
    I guess I figure the frame has a lifetime waranty and reviews are all very positive about their customer support. I also won't be riding all moutain and this bike is more of an XC bike. In the worse case, the components on it are worth more than the 1000 paid for it anyway.