mtbr member
    May 2011

New big & tall guy here, shopping for a bike!

Hi all!

I'm just getting back into cycling after a long hiatus (haven't been on a bike since college). I'm going to be shopping for a bike this weekend so I'm hoping you all could give me some advice and recommendations.

A little about me: I've always had a broad frame, but as a teen I was pretty fit...6'3, 225...played O-line in high school in Texas, threw shotput, yadda yadda..

Well, first college hit, then I became a working stiff...then I worked at a couple of startups, and you know how it is....very long hours. I got lazy and never ate well. Before I knew it I ballooned to 300+ lbs.

Well that was a couple of years ago...I started eating right, and exercising regularly (I love rock climbing), and at 6'4.5" I'm now in the 245-250lb range. My ultimate goal is 215lbs. Once I get an MTB and get in the saddle regularly I'll be posting a weekly journal of my progress.

So, I'm not the heaviest clyde around, but still pretty hefty. I also have a very strong lower body, so I'm looking for a good, mid level MTB that can take the abuse.

I'm going to check out Performance Bike this weekend, as they are having specials on GT bikes. I'm primarily looking at the GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc. Do you guys think that would be a good fit for me?

thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    That's an o.k. bike for the price I see on the Performance website, but not a great deal. You should check out some local bike shops too. If possible, I'd spend a little more and get one that was 27 speed instead of 24 speed and a slightly better fork. The Avalanche 1 at Performance fits the bill.

You should probably either ride an XL or an XXL, and there's a good chance that any given shop will not have the right size in stock. Don't rush into the purchase. Make sure you get the right size.

I'd say it was likely that Don't get talked into buying a bike that is the wrong size for you.

Former Bike Wrench
    You should look at 29ers for your height, Performance carries several brands including their own house brand (Access) that start at $400.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    After trying several bikes, I went with the GT Karakoram 29er.