mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New Big Boy on the block

Hey guys, I have been lurking around here for a little while. Reading and abosrbing as much as I could. I used to ride a good bit, but that was also 10 or so years ago, before marriage and children and all that fun stuff. Around that time, I weighed 240 or so at 6' 2" and 23 years of age. Now I and 34, still 6' 2" but maxed out at 296 at the beginning of June this year. Fathers day hit, and I decided that it was time for a change. I had been wanting to start back riding for a year or so, just never had the gumption to do so.

So, I dusted off the old Rockhopper, got a tune up and off we went. 4 mile ride on fathers day around the neighboor hood. I did it, but I was completely SPENT after the ride! Then two of my good friends who are frequent riders and MTB racers, suggested that I check out the local greenway in town. It was a 12 mile ride round trip start to finish. The week after fathers day I decided to throw the bike in the truck and give it a shot after work. Well, needless to say, I have been riding there 2-3 times a week and loving every minute of it. I have also started back visiting a few of my old trail haunts from the "good ol days". Wanted to get a bit of a base back before I tried to kill my lungs on a real trail.

Around the same time, I also began to read up on calories and such and began to cut back on my meal portion size. That is something I have never really done before, obviously!! And it seems to be working.

So, after 5-6 weeks I am now 13 lbs lighter and starting to truly enjoy riding again. The climbs still get my lungs burning, but it's getting a little easier each trip.

I say all of this to say, thanks for the great resource that this forum is for us, "men of extra stature"! It's nice to have a place to go where all the posters aren't the size of jockeys and have the attitude of "that bad guy from most 80's movies". You know the one!

Anyway, thanks again and looking forward to seeing where this progress takes me.

Joel

mtbr member
    welcome, joel! congrats on making a life change to be healthier and shedding some of that weight- i'm sure you and your family will appreciate it!

it's definitely important to watch what you eat and be active- there is no easy formula to fat loss and getting in better shape- work hard and eat right. portion size is usually a key item for many- just eating less and being active can do wonders.

good luck and keep us updated on your progress.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    welcome! You must post pics now!
    Chris, 6'1" 275lb clyde, Giant Anthem x 29er w/FULL 2012 XT group, Giant Defy Composite Ultegra. Team Truly Spokin!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the welcome guys. I don't have any pics of me on my bike right now, but I"ll see what I can do. At least I'll get some of the bike up soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well guys, 7 more pounds off so far. That's a nice "round" 20 lbs lost to date. Still riding 2-3 times a week. Trying to work on more trail riding versus the greenway, but it's nice to have variety. Rode my local trail on Saturday morning and actually made it about 1 1/2 laps (8.5) miles before heading home to the family. Looks like a possible greenway ride tonight at a different greenway in town. Taking my 6 yr old son with me to celebrate his first day of 1st grade! He love to ride his bike, and that get me excited. Never really been able to ride with him other than around the house. Should be fun.

slow uphill
    little bits at a time, and it will build up. 7lbs in 4 weeks is excellent progress.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hey bigguns....just checking in. So it's been 4 months and I am now at 35 lbs lost so far. And boy, do I feel better. Still have a ways to go, but the change is starting to show. I'll try to post some pics today if possible. The only problem is, the more I ride, the more my bike suffers....so, I have broken the middle chain ring up front, my Cane Creek Thudbuster snapped in half this week, tacoed my rear wheel, tore up my front dereilleur, and I somehow stripped a screw in my left shoe cleat. But it's worth it in the long run. Just not sure how much longer my old bike is gonna last. The replacement is on it's way this weekend.

Everyone keep up the good work, and keep on riding. See you guys on the trail.