mtbr member
    Sep 2007

new 29er frame choice

I am buying a frame this week or next, pretty much narrowed down to Niner SIR9 or a Salsa El Mariachi, i looked at the surly km and it is still sorta in the running. I am a bigger fella(at least i thought till i started reading this forum) 6'1 265lbs...going to be my main bike, commuting to work, trails on weekend, fitness fun with the gf. any help would be great. probably 1x9 geared.

Guess i need advice on whether these bikes will work with my size? anyone?
    Last edited by spider991; 09-04-2007 at 04:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spider991
    I am buying a frame this week or next, pretty much narrowed down to Niner SIR9 or a Salsa El Mariachi, i looked at the surly km and it is still sorta in the running. I am a bigger fella(at least i thought till i started reading this forum) 6'1 265lbs...going to be my main bike, commuting to work, trails on weekend, fitness fun with the gf. any help would be great. probably 1x9 geared.

Guess i need advice on whether these bikes will work with my size? anyone?
    The KM is prolly beefy 'nuff. I'd shoot the guys at Niner & Salsa an email or give 'em a ring to see what they say. IIRC you can prolly put a post in the 29er manufacturer or their respective forums and get quick answers from the 'horses mouth' as it were, if they're clyde approved.
    There's been a couple of 'clyde friendly' 29er threads on that board.
    IIRC- KM, inbred, vassago, redline monocog were on the list
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    great, thanks alot, i will drop those guys a call tomorrow

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just FYI, I'm about 6' and 260. Just had a Vassago Bandersnatch built up as a 1x9 for my first entry into the 29" world. I love it so far. And the price is definitely right.

I'm using mine just as you described. Commuting to work, errands around town, in the mountains on the weekends, wherever I feel like riding basically. It does all I ask of it and begs for more.

mtbr member
    I had a KM built up for me as a 1x9 and just picked it up last Friday. Have been riding it all week and I really like it so far. First 29er.... The rigid fork is taking some getting used to and very well may be replaced by a suspension fork next season, but for now I'm really enjoying it.